Surviving It

"So here's what we're gonna do," Emily responded after a period of silence "Ethan, stay here with Carter, I'm going to-" a loud gunshot followed by a scream was heard in the distance cutting Emily off. The shriekers let out a shriek and started running toward the noise, the others followed groaning and slowly making their way toward the noises. Carter gasped "We need to help that person!" She stood up, but was pulled down by Emily hard "Shut up!" Emily retorted. Ethan narrowed his eyes at Emily "What the hell dude?" He whispered angrily at Emily. "She is going to get us killed!" Emily said glaring at Carter "Look princess, not everyone can be saved! Those people are dead meat, literally!" Emily said looking back toward the street. Carter shuddered "You mean those things ate the people?" Carter asked with a gulp. "That's what they do genius," Emily replied still not making eye contact with Carter. Ethan growled "Easy! She's just scared!" Carter glanced at Ethan then at Emily. Emily mumbled something under her breath, which sounded like swears. Standing up, Emily signaled them to follow, as she started walking across the now abandon street, the others followed looking around cautiously to make sure they were safe.

As they walked on, Ethan broke the silence by asking "So, do we get anything to defend ourselves?" Emily stopped in her tracks and turned around to face Ethan and Carter 'They have no idea what's going on do they?' Emily thought to herself. She reached into her bag fetching out a screw driver and a hammer. Emily handed the screw driver to Ethan and the hammer to Carter. She then turned away and continued walking.

Ethan looked at Carter "Wow, she's friendly," he whisper sarcastically. Carter smiled and giggled softly, then covering her mouth. Walking on, Carter turned to Ethan "So Ethan, what did you say back at the school? I think I was in shock, I don't know. I heard your voice, but didn't hear what you said to me." Ethan stayed silent and looked at her with an embarrassed look on his face. 'Maybe I shouldn't tell her now... After all, I don't think now would be the time.' He turned to face forward "Uh, I said....." He hesitated and rubbed the back of his head "I said that the man was crazy." Ethan gulped, would she believe him? Carter smiled "Oh, yeah that man was definitely crazy." She said and faced Emily again. Ethan sighed a sigh of relief and trudged on with the others.