Tickers

Carter sat on a boulder. Emily turned around, "What are you doing? We have to keep moving!" Carter ignored her and blinked off into the distance, for she was exhausted, and couldn't think straight. Where were they going with this strange girl? What if Emily was leading them into a death trap? She needed to get back to her parents and friends! Her thoughts were interrupted by Ethan's voice "Carter, she's right. We need to keep moving," Ethan sighed and sat next to her "They are dead Carter, you saw those things! They were tearing people up! We are lucky to have even got out of there." Ethan said reading Carter's mind. Carter didn't want to believe it, but deep down she knew he was right, they were probably dead, those things were fierce. She tried to hold in a sob as she stood up continuing on into the unknown territory.

They had been walking for about six hours when the sun started to show brightly through the leaves of the trees. Emily was still walking ahead of them and Carter stayed in the back. She stared at the ground worrying what had happened to her parents and friends. Before she knew it, she was grabbed by the arm and pulled to the ground, looking up, she saw Emily had pulled her down and was glaring at something straight ahead through the brush. Ethan immediately ducked down, as well as Emily. Sitting up, she glanced through the thick brush making out a bunch of figures roaming the street. She gulped and sunk down away from the bushes, but Ethan was behind her and held her up "It's okay." He whispered looking at Carter. Carter nodded and once again glanced from behind Emily at the street up ahead. Those crazy people roamed the streets, their dead white eyes looking ahead of them as they crawled and limped along the street and sidewalk. One of the psychos let out a loud ticking sound, almost a shriek. Another responded back with a tick. All the others groaned and kept going ignoring the sounds. Emily smirked and whispered "Those are tickers, also known as shriekers. They make a loud ticking or shrieking noise, so you will always know when one is near. They are blind, and they depend on their hearing." Emily glanced at Carter then back at the tickers. Carter collected her courage and said "This has only been going on for a day, how do you know all this?" Emily didn't respond. A look of sorrow crossed Emily's face but she didn't even bother to look at Carter.