sixteen

July 7th, 1996

Two and a half weeks after the Battle at the Department of Mysteries, we buried Sirius at the Black family's estate in Scotland. There wasn't an actual body to bury, so the headstone was just the place marker where Sirius's body should have been laid to rest.

The weather was warmer than usual, but rain was falling in sheets from the sky. It poured down and saturated the grass.

The whole day is depressing. We're laying Sirius's body to rest on the 15th anniversary of my mum, dad, and Marlene's death. It's safe to say that my emotions are all over the place today.

I didn't even know about the Black family estate in the Scottish countryside until around the time that Regulus and I got engaged. Sirius and Regulus used to spend their summers here when they were little with their Uncle Alphard, so the place was filled mostly with good memories. The grounds were huge, and the manor was well-kept and ridiculously large considering the fact that Alphard Black lived alone. Sirius and Regulus stopped visiting the summer after Regulus's second year.

I stood beside Regulus, holding his hand in mine. My other hand rested on my bump, feeling our baby move around. Atlas and Elio stood at Regulus's side, and Remus stood at my right side. He had cast a charm to block us from the rain.

"Does anyone want to say a few words?" I asked, my voice coming out quiet.

Regulus dropped my hand and stepped forward, crouching down in front of Sirius's headstone. Both of the boys moved closer to me, and I put my arm around them. Surprisingly, Atlas leaned against me, resting his head on my shoulder.

Now that he's a teenager, Atlas has been angsty. He likes to pretend that he doesn't need his parents for anything, and he doesn't like to be hugged as much by anyone.

"I know you wanted to be buried in Godric's Hollow with James and Lily, but this was the best I could do. In light of the whole "escaped murderer from Azkaban" thing. But I figured this was the next best place, considering that it technically belonged to you," Regulus said. "I like to think that you'll rest easy here with Uncle Alphard, and the two of you will be absolutely insufferable like you were when we were both kids."

I heard Elio sniffle, and looked at him to see him wiping his eyes.

As hard as this was on Regulus and I, it was difficult for Atlas and Elio as well. Sirius was the only other actual family that they've known. He was their uncle, and a great one at that.

Regulus stepped back from the grave and just stared at the headstone.

Sirius Orion Black. 3 November 1959 - 18 June 1996. Mischief Managed.

Sirius's headstone was just like any other, except somewhere in Godric's Hollow the headstone of James Potter read "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good".

I stepped towards Sirius's grave, standing beside Regulus. He grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers, pressing a kiss against my cheek.

"Would you like to say anything?" Regulus asked quietly.

I nodded. "I wish you were still here. You're one of closest friends, and were the only family that I had aside from Regulus and the boys. I'm going to keep it short because I know that you're probably joking about how sappy all of this is, but we all love you, Sirius."

The rain pattered down against the grass, thunder clapping loudly somewhere in the distance.

"Do you boys want to say anything?" Remus asked Atlas and Elio.

Elio sniffled, "I miss you, Uncle Sirius. Thanks for teaching me how to play Exploding Snap."

"You're the coolest uncle ever. I miss you," Atlas said quietly.

"I guess it's my turn," Remus chuckled. His eyes were red and puffy, and he clearly hadn't been sleeping well. Remus walked up the headstone and kneeled down in the grass. "You know this hurts a lot more than the first time I lost you. I think part of me knew that there was always a chance I'd see you again, but now I can only see the reminders of you. Your messy wardrobe, and nightstand full of half-drank cups of tea. I used to yell at you to clean up after yourself but now I'm wishing that there were more cups of tea for me to pick up,"

Regulus tightened his grip on my hand. I turned to glance at him just to be met with the sight of tears falling down his face. His nose was red, and his cheeks were wet with tears.

"I love you, Sirius. I've loved you since I was fifteen," Remus said. "And I would happily clean up after you for the rest of my life and never once complain."

Remus rejoined the rest of us and wiped the tears from his face. I watched as Elio went to hug him, followed by Atlas a few moments later. He hugged both of them back, and when they broke apart we made eye contact over the boys.

"Come on, boys, let's get out of the rain," Regulus said.

Atlas and Elio followed after Regulus as he started to head closer to the manor.

I went up to Remus and hugged him. He hugged me back tightly, slightly leaning against me like he needed support. The full moon was a few days ago and he was still recovering. It had been a bad one. So there was that, and the fact that he lost the love of his life two and half weeks ago.

Remus pulled away from the embrace first and gave me a weak smile.

"Thanks, I needed that," He said.

"Of course," I replied. "You're family, Remus. You always will be, and family always sticks together."

We started walking back towards the manor, where Regulus, Atlas, and Elio had already retreated to.

"What're you and Regulus going to do with Grimmauld Place?" Remus asked.

I shook my head. "He doesn't want it, only for Order headquarters. So, it's all yours."

"I can't live there anymore. It's too hard to live there without Sirius," Remus explained. "I'm going to stay at my cottage again."

"But it's in Yorkshire?"

Remus shrugged, "I think I need a break from London for a while."

"Well, you know where to find us when you get lonely. Don't be a stranger, Remus," I said.

"I wouldn't imagine it," He replied. "I've still got a god daughter to meet. Plus, Regulus is an amazing cook."

I laughed, "That he is."

We reached the back porch of the manor, and Remus held the door open for me. He shut the door behind us, muffling the sound of the unrelenting rain.

The manor is in amazing shape considering that no humans have lived in it since the seventies. Alphard's house elf, Pimsy, has kept the place immaculately clean. Pimsy quite likes Regulus, she remembers him from when he was little.

"And what are you and Regulus going to do with this place?" Remus asked.

"I'm not quite sure yet," I answered. "Maybe we need a break from London for a while. It's a lot more peaceful here."