epilogue

Meredith Black

September 1st, 2002

I knock on my son's bedroom door. "Come on, Elio, we're going to be late," I call through the door.

"I know, I know," He replies. "I'm just grabbing a few more things.

I step away from the door just in time. Elio flings the door open and levitates his trunk beside him. "See, mum?" He says. "We're not going to be late."

He starts down the stairs, bringing his trunk with him, and I follow. Elio sets his trunk in the foyer and then goes into the kitchen where the sounds of voices can be heard.

Cassie and Teddy are sitting at the table coloring, and Regulus is plating food for breakfast.

Cassie grabs Teddy's pink crayon and he gapes at her. "Hey, that's mine," He says, an annoyed tone to her voice.

Cassie shrugs and looks at his drawing. "It doesn't need any more pink, mine does," She claims.

Teddy looks at both of their drawings and then reaches for another pink crayon. "Yes, it does," He says.

I shake my head and try not to laugh and Regulus laughs to himself.

Elio goes up behind Cassie and picks her up. Cassie laughs and smiles at her older brother.

"I thought you were learning how to share?" Elio teases.

"I didn't do it to be mean," Cassie claims. "I was helping Teddy." Teddy sticks his tongue out and Cassie and she returns the gesture as Elio sets her back down.

Cassie is five now, and Teddy is two and a half.

Teddy still lives with his grandmother most of the time but he always comes to visit for a few days once or twice a month. He has his own bedroom across from Cassie's and fits right into the family.

Cassie likes being a big sister to Teddy. She's quite a bit of an attitude that Regulus blames on me but we both know it's from him.

As for Elio.

"Are you excited for seventh year?" Regulus asks Elio as he sits down at the table.

Elio takes a bite of his bacon. "Very," He answers. "I'm excited for quidditch to start."

Elio had never shown much interest in quidditch like Atlas did, but he was always good at it. Following the Battle of Hogwarts, Elio joined the quidditch team in his fourth year and Slytherin has won the quidditch cup two years in a row now. He's a seeker, just like Regulus was. Elio won't admit it, but he decided to join the quidditch team for Atlas.

"And being Head Boy, I guess," Elio adds.

Regulus and I exchange a glance and both smile. Elio notices this and rolls his eyes. "Please don't tell me your entire love story again," He groans.

"So it starts at the beginning of our seventh year, I absolutely hated your father-"

Regulus interjects, "Hey! Hate is a very strong word."

"Yeah, mum, we don't say we hate people," Cassie says, continuing to color with one hand and eat her toast with the other.

Elio laughs.

"But I guess it all worked out somehow because look at us now," I finish.

"Yeah, absolutely obsessed with me," Regulus jokes.

I roll my eyes at him.

- - - - -

We do manage to make it to King's Cross Station on time, with little time to spare. The train is waiting on Platform 9 ¾ and there are lots of students and parents milling around.

I spot Natalia and her aunt, Katherine, across the platform. Elio waves at Natalia and she smiles before she comes rushing over.

"I missed you," Natalia says as she hugs Elio.

He blushes, "I missed you too, Nat."

"Is she your girlfriend?" Cassie asks, staring up at them.

Natalia laughs and the both of them blush as Cassie waits for an answer that she never gets. She quickly loses interest when Teddy points out a young girl walking by holding a kitten.

Elio spots the rest of their friends and waves before turning back to us. "Alright, I should get going," He says.

I hug my son. "Have fun, be safe," I tell him. "I love you."

"I love you too, mum," Elio replies. He hugs Regulus next.

"Good luck, we'll see you at the first match. I love you," Regulus says.

Elio grins, "I love you too, dad."

Elio kneels down in front of Teddy. "I'll see you soon, Teddy," He explains. Teddy hugs him and mumbles something that I can't hear but it makes Elio laugh. He turns to Cassie next and hugs her tightly.

"Don't get into too much trouble without me," Elio says.

Cassie grins, "I won't."

"Good," Elio replies. He kisses her on the head and then stands up to gather his things. "I'll see you guys soon," He says.

We all say goodbye to Elio as he gets on the train with his friends.

I'm really happy for Elio. It got really bad for a while but he's doing good now. He still misses Atlas so much, we all do. I should've been here last year wishing both of my sons off instead of just one.

Regulus wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me to lean against him. He kisses my head and we watch as the train pulls out of the station.