every night

TW: mentions of blood

Karl's vision was black and blurry, like it always was when this happened. 

"Sapnap?" he whispered into the abyss. except it wasn't an abyss, it was small and soft. He could move wherever, walk for hours, days, but it would stay small. When he spoke, the voice that went back through his ears had no echo, no hollow undertone. It was just his own. Like he was in his home. Wherever his home was. Whatever his home was. His home seemed foreign, despite his constant visits there. this place - whatever he should call it - seemed like his home now. 

There was a ticking noise, it was always there. He always tried to go towards it, but it never got louder. Had it gotten louder? Or was he just going crazy? Then, it stopped completely, for the first time.

jacobsss... He heard a voice hiss. He let out a small gasp, trying to be as quiet as possible.

"Where- w-who are you?" 

you don't recognize my voiceee? 

"Leave me alone!" he yelped. He backed up, though the voice was the same volume no matter where he stood. Almost like it was coming from himself. 

karl where are we? 

"I- who are you..?" he whispered, on the verge of tears. he felt a hand grab his wrist. "Stop-"

"Karl it's me," Sapnap whispered. 

"Sapnap? I- I can't see you." he felt Sapnap's hand on his shoulder now. 

"I can't either, hey. I'm right here." 

Karl felt around in front of him. His hand felt the hem of his shirt, then he ran his hand through sapnap's hair. He let out a breath, before hugging him.

"It's you," he whispered.

"Where are we, Karl?" 

"I-.. I don't know. I've been visiting this place a lot lately, I've never had anyone else here."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know. What's- what's happening on- on y'know, the surface..?" 

Sapnap pulled out of the hug. "Oh karl, you passed out in the middle of it."

"The middle of what?"

"Our house was attacked. Or- is being attacked."

"Oh... right."

"I came to help you, and then I somehow ended up here," Sapnap whispered. "Wherever this is."

Karl reached forward and put his hand on Sapnap's chest, closing his eyes - not that that made a difference with the current lighting situation. 

Sapnap gently grabbed Karl's wrist.

"Shh.." Karl whispered, pulling his forehead to Sapnap's. a small, yellow light illumined the spot where they were standing. He opened his eyes. Sapnap was looking at him already, studying his face. Sapnap's face was covered in dirt and ashes, his clothes torn and shredded. there were bruises along his arms, and blood wounds stained his white t-shirt.

Sapnap looked deep into Karl's dark brown eyes. Karl looked great - condition wise. Especially since he was covered in mud and bruises the last time he'd seen him. His purple multicolored hoodie was clean - besides the dirt Sapnap had got on him from their hug - and undamaged.  

The light didn't get rid of the darkness in the corners and the black mist at their feet, but it was enough to see each other clearly, lit by a warm light.

Karl was warm.

"Are you hurt?"

"You're beautiful." they both spoke simultaneously. 

Karl let out a small giggle. "You're bleeding."

Sapnap kissed his cheek. "It doesn't hurt here." 

"You're cold," Karl spoke.

"I was just in a fire, I doubt it."

"This place has different temperatures then you're used to." Karl wrapped his arms around him in an attempt to warm him. Sapnap hummed.

"You're beautiful."

"Geez, how much blood have you lost?" Karl giggled softly, pulling himself away to look at Sapnap. Sapnap kissed him gently.

-

"Karl? Karl? oh thank god," George said. 

"Where's sapnap?" he jolted up.

"Karl, calm down-"

"Where is he?" Karl felt a hand squeeze his own. He turned his head towards the person sitting besides the bad he was laid in.

"I'm right here." Sapnap spoke quietly. He was in different clothes and was clean and bandaged.

"Was it fake? Where you really there?" Karl said hurriedly. 

"I was there. I woke up a few hours before you, I think having two people there drained your energy." 

"I'll give you two a moment alone," George said. "call me if you need something." 

"I'm glad you're okay," Karl said to Sapnap. "wait, Kinoko Kingdom-"

"It's not too bad.. we're staying here for now, until we can make the houses safe again." 

Karl sighed in relief. 

"And um, Karl? What was that place?"

"I dream about it every night, just darkness. I think the reason I passed out was because I hadn't slept in days, so the place - whatever it is - decided I was overdue for a visit. I'm not sure why you were there." 

"Maybe you needed me there."

"Sapnap, if you were there whenever I need you, you would be there every night." 

839 words.