Chapter Four | The Infamous Man in Purple

Luigi's POV

"-And I'll have him all to myself!" Was all Luigi heard from behind the painting, he could see a little bit and hear more but it was all still distorted. He was trapped into a painting by King Boo, Luigi had seen  him for the first time in at least four years. Although he was a scared loser, he thought to himself, he regularly went in haunted buildings to exterminate the ghosts, it was like a hobby. Except you could get killed at any minute. He still enjoyed it even though it was scary.

But this time, Luigi wasn't even trying to exterminate or even examine the ghosts! He was walking around the edge of the dry forest – not really wanting to venture further than he had to – when he saw the huge mansion, which read Twisted Mansion above the door. That was clearly a bad sign – literally – however Luigi saw what Mario wanted right by the stairs to the front door! Berries for his Yoshi! Luigi knew it was dangerous, but if he just did this, he could go home to Daisy quicker!

Luigi charged up to the berry bush and took his backpack off to shove some inside. He heard some suspicious but recognisable sounds. Boos! He panicked and grabbed as many berries as possible and tried to turn on his heel, but he got snatched by the Boos and dragged, helplessly into the mansion. The last thing he heard was the front doors closing viciously.

Daisy's POV

Daisy woke up to the sound of her name but didn't open her eyes. She was quite cold, but it wasn't winter in Sarasaland – not that it ever got that cold. Then she heard her name by a memorable voice – not her mothers, fathers, or sisters. Not even Peach, Mario, or better yet, Luigi's. Who was shouting me? She opened her eyes impatiently and had a shock when she was not in her bedroom. It was a cave, with tangled trees around the edge, then she saw where the voice was coming from.

"Daisy! You're awake!" The tall man in purple exclaimed. He had long legs and had a large, crooked nose, he wore a purple turtleneck jumper with dark blue dungarees, and he wore a long flowing coat. Daisy recognised the man almost instantly. Waluigi. She sat up, confused.

"Waluigi? Have I hit my head and gone into the past? What?" Daisy asked, sounding sarcastic but genuinely being disorientated. Waluigi and Daisy had been incredibly close childhood friends, mainly because neither of them any other friends.

"Hi, wassup?" He asked, calmly. "Been a little while, Sunny." The use of his nickname for her brought her back to the past.

10 years ago

"Daisy!" The 11-year-old boy yelled from their den as he saw the tall girl approach. Waluigi was Daisy's only real friend, well, beside her sister Lapis but they didn't have much in common. Daisy loved sport, climbing trees, getting muddy. But her 15-year-old sister liked dresses, pink and all that boring stuff! Daisy waved dramatically at her friend and jogged over to their den, which was a large wooden plank connecting two trees together, with a roof of twigs in a triangular shape.

"Waluigi! Sorry, I'm late, my father wouldn't let me leave. He was yelling at me for no reason, as usual." She rolled her eyes before looking back at him. "How are you, Wally?"

"Ah. Well." He stalled, "I've been sent back to the boys' home because my foster parents didn't like me anymore. Or didn't like the money they were getting." He sat, with his long legs crossed over each other and fidgeted with his hands but faked a smile.

"Oh – Wally. I have no idea what to say, I'm sorry. I wish you could live with me, it's so boring in the castle." She hated being royal, she was always expected to wear dresses and be girly, it wasn't fair. And, on top of that, her father was always on at her saying she didn't deserve to live in the castle with them. Well, she'll show them. I'm going to be independent and, simply, better than my family who rely on shy guys! Realising he never replied, she tried to think of something else to talk about...