1

A/N: I loved the lady in the maternity shoot so much but I don't know who she is. If you do, just know that all the shoot credit goes to her and the photographer. Thank you.

*****

The sun was already beginning to set outside and the light brown, short haired doctor in some navy blue scrubs with a stethoscope around her neck stared outside the window, already anticipating the end of her shift. She adjusted the heavy rimmed glasses perched on her shiny round nose because they kept slipping down the bridge.

A knock sounded on the door and her honey brown eyes looked up from behind her spectacles as a middle aged heavily melanated man walked in, a medical book in his hand. He greeted her before taking a seat while she went through his medical records.

When she volunteered at the public hospital once a week, she was not prepared for this much work and this many patients. After working exclusively with private hospitals and eventually opening her own little practice that was overpriced but somehow still managed to attract wealthy clients, she was shocked and overwhelmed by the work in public hospitals.

And with that shock came heavy exhaustion at least once a week.

When she was done going through the medical records, she looked at him and smiled. "My name is Dr. Nonny Asher. What can I do for you today?"

"Well, I have been having a problem...um...is there a male doctor I can speak with, first of all?" he nervously asked.

"Unfortunately I am the only doctor available today. This is a safe environment and whatever you say will stay strictly just between the two of us," Nonny assured him, still wearing her warm smile despite her exhaustion from working a 48 hour shift straight.

"A male nurse that I can perhaps talk to?"

I just want to get this over and done with and go home, she thought to herself. This was her last patient and the next doctor would be here to take over from her. "Would that make you more comfortable?"

The man nodded.

Nonny stood from her chair and luckily, she caught a male resident passing by and quickly explained the situation to him before he agreed to check her patient for her.

A while later, the patient came out of the office limping slightly and the resident came out after him, slightly shaking his head. "You'd think by now people would be used to being handled by doctors of other genders," he muttered.

Then he filled Nonny up on the man's problem. Turned out him and his new girlfriend had gone a little too far with experiments that could sexually stimulate him without the need for viagra and they had stuck some tiny vibrating rod up his peepee hole. After the deed was done, they couldn't get the rod out and the man couldn't handle the embarrassment of a female doctor seeing him in such a vulnerable state.

Nonny chuckled before thanking the resident. She quickly walked into her office, cleaned it up and as quickly as she could, before another patient came, she took her bag and locked up then left. Today she wasn't in a generous mood even when she clearly saw that her replacement was a little late.

Getting to her car, she got in and immediately drove out of the parking lot before choosing her road playlist.

Then she hit the road.

.

The exclusive suburb of Vir Uit was a beautiful, gated community that was heavily patrolled like it was military ground. The architectural bone was quite evident throughout the estate, with every single house a unique design, sorrounded by lush trees to distance it from the neighbors and some of the houses even had a lakeview or direct access to the lake.

There was no one famous living in the estate, just established millionaires that nobody really knew or cared to know, like chain store owners, franchise owners, privately practising surgeons and doctors, the list was endless. Here, nobody even cared to ask the neighbors for anything even just for the sake of conversation so the neighbors hardly knew one another because they were all so busy with their various and diverse lives to even bother.

But some of the ones that had been in the estate the longest were friends and often tried to get get-togethers going by hosting a few events annually where the entire estate was invited.

Nonny always found an excuse not to go but she was sure to always send a gift, just for the neighbors to know that she was still alive.

Pulling up to her house, at the very end of the estate and located near the cold lake, a little farther from the prying eyes of neighbors, she parked her car in the driveway and then climbed out, removing her stethoscope.

One neighbor on an evening run stopped to greet her, her brunette ponytail bouncing against her neck as she jumped in one spot.

She waved at Nonny. "Good evening!" she called.

Nonny simply waved back, not in the mood for conversation.

"I have cooked up a storm tonight and I would really like it if you could join us tonight, Dr. Asher. You've been coming up with excuses for the last year since Dr. Derek Asher, your ex-husband left. Tonight, I am not taking No for an answer."

"Garcelle, I've had a long day at work and-"

The woman began to jog away with a smile. "The theme is sleepwear!" she called before sprinting away.

Nonny groaned before frustratedly kicking her door. Then she calmly walked inside, leaving her negative energy at the door.

She had better get ready for the damned dinner. Truth was, ever since Dr. Derek Asher, her husband, left her for someone else he worked with, she had really stopped trying to have a social life and had withdrawn into herself.

It had been a year since Derek had suddenly packed up and told her that he wasn't happy in their marriage. She had understood to an extent because they were frequently arguing and rarely spent time together after 5 years of marriage and 3 of dating. The problem was that Nonny was still in love with him but he had already moved on.

She still hadn't properly picked herself up when he left, still holding on to the fleeting hope that he would come back. Even after she saw the pictures of him and his surgeon girlfriend on Instagram.

Condolences had poured in from people that had known her but she had turned a blind eye and pretended she didn't care. Even though every night after, she cried herself to sleep.

After a reluctant shower, she dressed in a brown and cream coloured doggy onesie then grabbed an old gift that was still wrapped but was never handed to its owner.

When she opened the door to step out, the familiar face of Derek Asher smiled slightly at her. His blue eyes twinkled in the porch light as he missed up his raven black hair.

"What are you doing here?" she gasped, quite shocked to see him because he had been avoiding her as much as he could, even blacklisting her when she started calling him too much throughout the break up.

"Um...so, the practice Shauna is working for moved to town and they gave her residence in your estate!"

Freaking Stupid Shauna! she thought.

Shauna was Derek's surgeon girlfriend.