5

Theous sat in the doctor's office, watching as the doctor that didn't look like a doctor fixed up the patient bed for him. He looked at her, captivated by her once again.

He loved how she confidently wore and owned her short black hair which looked absolutely stunning on her. He found it cute how she often wrinkled her flat nose which her glasses often slipped down. His eyes travelled to her body and he forced himself to look away to avoid the thoughts of what he would do to her if she were his woman.

She had everything that he physically loved in a woman. Neither thin nor thick nor fat. She was just the perfect height, at 5 foot 8 and with a body that was just the perfect and proportional size throughout. Nothing was big. Nothing was small.

"Are you going to  try to get me to lie on your results with the way you are looking at me, Mr. Dior?" the doctor teased.

He laughed. "No. I'm just thinking that I know you and you don't remember me."

She stood up straight and looked at him with a smile which was something she seemed to always be wearing like an accessory. "When did we meet, again?"

"It's alright. Let's leave it."

The truth was, Theous was lying. He'd never seen her before in his whole life. But it was a conversation starter and he would tell her the truth eventually.

Eventually was neither today not tomorrow.

"Alright. Come on and lay down for me," she gently said.

He stood from the chair and walked over to the bed, loving the way he slightly towered over Dr. Nonny. He smiled as he lay back on the bed.

She started he physical tests to make sure that he was in good shape. Whenever she leaned over him, he kept his eyes closed to savor the scent that wafted from her. It didn't smell flowery but it smelled very nice...and familiar.

He stared at her as she raised his arm. "This is completely random but...are you wearing men's cologne?"

Nonny nodded before making him sit up and take off his shirt.

Reluctantly, he did and he noticed how for a second, she stopped all her work and stared at his naked torso. He could even hear her sharp intake of breath as her eyes lingered.

"That's not good," she said.

Theous looked at the smooth and shiny burn scars that decorated half of his shaved chest. For him, they were a source of shame, nothing to be proud of. He could not even bear to look at them in the mirror everyday after his bath or when he dressed. Even his teammates had stopped trying to ask where he got them because he became hostile and tight-lipped whenever anybody asked.

"May I?" The doctor indicated towards touching his scars to examine them but he quickly got off the bed and put his shirt back on. No one, not even his partners, were allowed to touch him there. Even during intimate moments.

"Are we done?" he asked, looking anywhere but at her.

She was quiet for a moment, just staring up at him in thought  before she grabbed a small cup with a lid on it and handed it to him. "Can you pee in that cup for me? When you're done, bring it back."

He nodded and walked to the door.

"Dior," she said.

He stopped, still refusing to look at her.

"If you can avoid it, stop scratching those scars because you are irritating them anew. They'll never fully heal. When you get back, I'll give you an anti-itch cream if they are itchy."

"They're not itchy," he simply said.

"Then you need to talk to someone," she gently said. "Please close the door on your way out and call in the next patient."

Theous walked out and slightly shut the door behind him, feeling slightly angry and agitated. He did not need to talk to anyone. Not even a shrink. He was fine just the way he was and the doctor had no business trying to interfere.

.

Nonny laughed as Coach Hart tapped his own leg with the small wooden mallet that she had been using earlier to test his reflexes.

"Why won't it work when I'm doing it myself?" he groaned.

"You're anticipating it. It's kind of like when you make your own sandwich. You don't really enjoy it as much as when someone else makes it for you because you get desensitized to the ingredients when you make it yourself."

Coach Hart heartily chuckled. "Well...what about my players? What are the results?"

"Only one tested positive for drugs...just marijuana and it's Swayze. The one that uses medicinal marijuana. Half the team is dehydrated but that's just about it. They are all physically as healthy as horses."

"Great. That is great news."

"I do need you to talk to Theous Dior, however. He's in good condition only if he would stop scratching those scars on his chest."

The Coach simply sighed and wiped his eyes. "He won't talk to anyone about what happened to him."

"Well, he's irritating those scars and breaking skin. He is risking an infection and that could see him in the hospital at some point. Dior needs to see a mental health professional."

"I have threatened to bench him but he still refuses to see a mental health professional even after the last doctor told him to. I've even given up on threatening him because truth be told, he's one of our best players and benching him shouldn't even be an option."

Nonny dejectedly sighed.

What happened to Theous Dior? Why was he adamantly refusing help when it was as clear as day that he needed it? His scars were red (on really dark skin) and some were even caked in small bits of blood from what looked to be intense scratching.

She was no psychologist but Nonny knew when a person was mentally troubled and even though Dior was, to the eye, living his best life, something was weighing heavily on his mind and Nonny found herself wanting to know the truth behind the scars.

Theous was angry when he left her office and she doubted that he would want to talk to or see her ever again. He had not even come back for the anti-itch cream that was currently sitting on the desk. Even his pee sample was returned wrapped in toilet paper by someone else.

What was Theous Dior's story?

Nonny found herself suddenly fascinated. 

When she left work later, she was surprised to find at the door, the man she was thinking about. He was dressed in some casual clothes, looking and smelling fresh.

"I came to apologise about earlier," he said, brushing his hand over his waves. "Um...I didn't mean-"

"It's fine. Apology accepted," she said, looking up at him. His dark brown eyes lingered on her. She looked at the small scars on either of his cheeks. "What tribe are you from?"

He frowned, amused. "How'd you know these are tribal marks? People usually think I had an accident or something."

She pulled the neck of her shirt down to reveal a single small pitch black scar across the right side of her collarbone. It looked like a scar that had healed after been sewn back together.

"My grandma did it when I was still a baby. Where she's from, this is usually done on a young girl to symbolise her purity or virginity. Another scar is added after she's married. My grandma cut me on the collarbone, placed some herbs and powder that would repel evil against me and then sewed me back together. Everyone in my maternal family follows this tradition."

Theous smiled. "Um...wanna continue this conversation over a drink or something?"

"Unfortunately I have...something already planned," Nonny said apologetically.

He nodded. "I guess maybe next time?"

"No promises."

"I understand. Goodbye, Dr. Nonny Asher." Theous left.

Nonny chuckled and grinned to herself.

She had absolutely nothing planned.