18

Nonny was just about ready to get this day over and done with at the public hospital as she listened to a patient talk about his family problems to her.

She was tempted to tell him that she was not a therapist but for selfish reasons, she was entertaining him because she did not want to be alone with her thoughts any time soon.

She wasn't really listening to the patient because she had already finished checking him and diagnosing him as well as prescribing medicine to him. Her thoughts were on Theous.

It had been almost two weeks since they last talked and frankly, that had been eating her up inside. She had been tempted to talk to him but she knew he would reach out to her when he was ready.

For now it was best that she give him her space.

The patient finally finished talking and after exchanging goodbyes, Nonny stood to her feet, glancing at her reflection in the mirror.

Her belly had started showing in the two weeks she hadn't seen Theous. Right now, anyone could tell that she was either getting fat or she was pregnant.

That was why she always had her white coat on at the public hospital even though she didn't care at her practice.

Public hospital gossip was something else.

A knock came on her door and quickly, she sat back down in her chair and called out, "come in!"

The door opened and Theous stood there, looking like the most beautiful thing she had ever seen in his plain white tee, a pair of black basketball shorts and some training shoes on his large feet. His hair had been shaved short in military style and he stared at her, expressionless.

Nonny stared in surprise at him.

"Theo..." she whispered, standing up.

His eyes automatically lowered down to her slightly showing belly and she consciously brought together the lapels of her coat to hide.

Theous sighed and turned to walk back out.

"Please," Nonny said. "Can...can we talk?"

He looked at her. "I thought I was ready to talk but seeing you now...I'm not ready to talk to you."

Her heart broke and she nodded, wiping her eyes that were about to leak out tears. She tried to say something but choked on her words, her tears falling shamelessly.

"I'm sorry for not being upfront with you," she cried. "I should have told you before getting into this with you  but I was scared that you'd leave and I chose to hide my pregnancy from you."

Theous stared at her, looking unperturbed. "Nonny, can we talk some other time? Look, I'll see you." He closed the door behind him.

Nonny sat back down, putting her arms on her desk and bowing her head to cry. She was an emotional mess currently but this hurt and she didn't care about being a crying sobbing wreckage, even if one of her colleagues were to see her now.

Maybe it was best that she focus on her baby and herself.

Yes. That was what she was going to do.

.

Theous sat in the parking lot of the hospital in his car, feeling a hundred emotions all at once. Frustration, anger, betrayal but among those were love because despite everything, he still wanted Nonny.

He just had to make room for an extra person and he was struggling because of his past experience.

He was afraid.

Afraid that history would repeat itself for some reason and his fear was making him irrational.

He could feel it in his bones that something would go wrong if he stayed in Nonny's life and unbeknownst to him, this was brought about only because he still blamed himself for his fiance and their child's deaths. He was responsible for it all and he felt that he was going to subject Nonny to the same fate.

He was very scared and he did not know who to talk to about his fears.

As if on cue, his phone rang.

"Zara?" he answered.

Her cheerful voice filled the car. "Hi, Theo! Ok...so I have good news! I'm in your city! Wanna meet up for a meal or something?"

Theous wiped his face with the palm of his hand. Maybe Zara could help him through this? "Yeah. Sure. Should I pick you up?"

"I'm already at Shapes...that pizza place downtown. Come down here. I've already ordered your favorite...3 Meats."

Theous nodded to himself and dropped the call then went on his way.

Zara looked absolutely stunning in matching sportswear, looking like she had just some from the gym in the black and white bra and shorts. Her long straight weave fell down her smooth melananted back, not a strand out of place.

She grinned as soon as she saw him, standing up to give him a hug.

He hugged her tightly and before he knew it, he was squeezing her tightly, wetting her shoulder with tears.

Silently,  she led him out of the pizza place to his car and they stood beside it with Zara hugging Theous tightly as he let his emotions out through tears.

When he had calmed down, she looked at him. "What's wrong?"

"I dont want to lose her," he whispered. "I dont want to lose Nonny. But I'm scared. I'm so scared, Zara."

"What's going on? I thought things were good between you two. What happened?"

"You were right. She's pregnant and not with my child."

Zara frowned. "Nonny wouldn't do that. Shes not the kind to cheat. I refuse to believe that."

"She didn't cheat. She was already pregnant when I met her. See, I have a really ugly history with my late fiance. She was pregnant when she passed and it was all my fault because I did something horrible. Long story short, she got involved in a fatal car accident and...I keep having the feeling that...um..."

"That what?"

"I am in love with Nonny but I keep getting the feeling that she's going to end the same way if I continue with her." Theous wiped the tears off his cheeks. "I dont know what to do. I know I'm being paranoid but I don't-"

"Did you see the therapist Nonny got for you?"

Theous shook his head.

Zara slapped his chest slightly. "And all this trauma inside you...you think it will just disappear without you talking to someone about it? You are paranoid because you havent dealt with your fears and that's not fair on Nonny. If you are as in love with that woman as you claim to be, you will go to therapy and love her the way she deserves to be. She has been there for you and she does not deserve this man I see before me. This is not you, Theo. Get some help and only then can you love Nonny and her baby without being afraid."

Theous sighed. "Thank you for this. I think I need to apologise to her and hear her out. I just hope the father of the baby is not her ex-husband. I didn't and still dont like that guy."

Zara laughed. "You met him once!"

"Still. Anyway, let's get back to that pizza you so kindly bought."

Zara grinned. "By the way..." She flashed her left hand at him and sparkling on her index finger was a beautiful diamond ring.

Theous grinned widely and scooped her up in a hug, yelling Congratulations!!

This day had just gotten good and it could get better as soon as he could call Nonny.