19

Mrs Moelo and Nonny stared in fear at Dr. Moyo as he frantically moved the ultrasound, scanning Nonny's belly all around.

"How were we not able to detect this earlier?" Dr Moyo mumbled to himself. 

Mrs. Moelo squeezed Nonny's hand, feeling her daughter trembling. She could tell that Nonny was scared and so was she but she had to be the bigger woman.

Dr. Moyo looked up at Nonny finally. Then his face broke into a grin. "Nonny, you're having baby girls."

"Girls?"

"Yes. You're carrying twins."

"But in the last scan there was only one baby!" Mrs. Moelo exclaimed.

Dr. Moyo laughed merrily. "Well, they are rather tiny but the larger one has been hiding the smaller one. However, I have been able to pick up two heartbeats and I can positively say that you're carrying twins, Nonny."

Nonny laughed with disbelief. "Twins?! Are you sure?!"

"Positively so. Now, this means you need more food because you're eating for 3 now. No wonder your weight was not making sense earlier. Anyway...I heard rumors that you are dating a certain famous someone."

Nonny chuckled. "You're not about to ask me for anything, are you?"

"Well, my brothers do want to meet him and your next scan would be on me."

"What else do you want to bribe me with, Dr. Moyo?"

"Dinner for you and your lovely mother at Carpe Diem...that seafood place near the pier."

"Hmm...let me think about it and I'll get back to you."

It was not really in the books to tell anyone that currently things between her and Theous were not good so she just went along with whatever. She would tell people only if Theous dumped her.

Dr. Moyo left them for a moment and Mrs. Moelo looked at Nonny.

"Everything alright?"

She shook her head. "Theous found out about the pregnancy. I didn't exactly tell him but when I gave him a hug the other day...he felt my stomach. He is so angry, mom. I think I have lost him because he doesn't want to talk to me."

"What did you say after he found out?"

"I didn't say anything. I just left because I could tell just from his face that he didn't want me in his house a moment longer."

"Well, how do you know he didn't want to talk if you just walked out on him?"

"He came to my office yesterday after two weeks of not talking. But the moment he saw my belly, he walked back out. Mom...I dont know but I think this might have to do with his past. His fiance and unborn baby died in a car accident and...I think my pregnancy might have triggered him."

Mrs. Moelo had her hand over her mouth in shock. "He was engaged!?"

Nonny nodded, feeling unsure if she had done right exposing Theous like that to her mother who had no filter or boundaries and would probably ask Theous.

"That's so sad that his fiance and baby died. But he cant treat you like you never even existed for two weeks just because of his fears. At least he should have heard you out and then decide if he wants to break up or not, not ghost you."

"I dont really blame him though. Imagine finding out that someone you're maybe planning to pursue something with is pregnant and has always known but never told you."

"Have you told him...how you got pregnant?"

"He didn't give me a chance to explain."

"Nonny! Child, this is bad. Theous is good people but you two have to lay it all bare before you jump back into this. You have to talk to him."

Nonny sighed. "I can't talk to him because he doesn't want to talk to me. So I'm giving him his space and I'm focusing on me and my babies because it looks like it's going to be just the three of us."

"I hear you, my baby. Your father wants you to come home for the weekend. He wants to talk to you. You two havent really had much of a conversation since you got pregnant."

Nonny cringed. "Hes not going to be like you when you first found out about my pregnancy, is he?"

Mrs. Moelo laughed.

.

Theous had just come from the gym when he got a call in his car.

Private number.

"Theous Dembele Dior here," he answered.

"Hey son."

He grinned. "Vader (dad), I've been meaning to call you. When did you change your number?"

"Oh. I'm using a stranger's phone. I'm at the airport downtown and I just wanted to know if you'd pick me up!"

Theous almost crashed his car. "You're here??"

"Yes. Are you coming?"

Theous cringed. He wasn't ready to face his father, despite his successes and he had wanted to go see Nonny and resolve their issues right now.

Things were not going as planned.

An hour later, the older more matured replica of Theous sat in the passenger seat, staring at his son.

"After many years!" he kept exclaiming.

Theous nervously smiled.  "Where did you get the money to come here? I thought you were using the money I was giving you to create some businesses back home."

"I did create some businesses and they are doing very well hence I'm here. Dont worry about the money. You look very grown and nice. Where's our daughter in law?"

Theous had literally not told his family anything about his personal life for the last couple of years except to lie about going to school and faking how everything had been perfect for fear of disappointing his father after all his sacrifices.

"Theres no daughter in law yet. Unfortunately."

"Are you telling me that with all your fame and fortune,  no girl wants you or has gotten pregnant for you already?"

Nonny came to mind. "There is a special lady in my life but...things are not so good between us. But I'll tell you all about it after you've rested and refreshed."

A while later, Theous' jaw dropped when he pulled up to the gate of his house.

Nonny stood at his gate, continuously ringing the buzzer only to stop when she heard the car behind her.

Theous stepped out of the car and approached her. He stopped short when he saw she was dressed in a long floral maternity dress that hugged her belly, showing off her bump.

"We need to talk," she quickly said just as the passenger door opened and an older man who looked exactly like Theous stepped out, approaching them.

"Good evening," the man greeted.

Nonny gave him a small smile, noticing the way his eyes lingered on her pregnant belly. "Good evening, sir," she said.

"Who is this young lady?" the man asked Theous.

He glanced at Nonny. "Dad, this is Nonny Moelo, my girlfriend."

"I thought...why am I only being introduced to the mother of your baby now? She's carrying your child and you had the audacity not to tell your family or even pay damages to her family?! Theous, I raised you better than this! If you get a woman pregnant, you pay damages or you marry her!"

He turned to the bewildered Nonny.

"Young lady, I am very ashamed about how my son has gone about things. In our culture, when a man plants his seed in a woman, it is law that he pay damages which is money that will help raise the child or he marries her. I am very ashamed that we were not introduced to the mother of my future grandchild. I am Theous' father, Ade Dior."

Nonny found her voice and embarrassedly whispered,  "Sir, Theous is not-"

"-talking about this out here," Theous said. "Let's discuss this inside."

It was about time they addressed all the elephants in his rooms.