8

Theous sat in his car, staring at the text that had just come in.

Just three words that had caught him off guard.

Three words: I am leaving.

He brushed his hand over his head before dialling. The phone was answered in a few seconds.

"What do you mean you are leaving?" he immediately asked.

"I am going back to France."

Theous sighed. He and Zara had been having fun with each other. They were not committed and that was because they were only physically attracted to each other, nothing more yet it still felt like a bitter loss when she sent those texts.

"Theo..." Zara gently said. "I mean...we were just having fun. I was bound to go back home at some point."

"I understand."

"And you can finally pursue the doctor."

He frowned. "What doctor?"

Zara chuckled. "Don't pretend you ain't been stalking Dr. Nonny. Look, I was just looking at the time on your phone and it was unlocked so I snooped. I know that you and me were not really going to get any further than the bedroom...and I'm ok with that. Go and talk to the doctor instead of stalking her social media like a creep."

"I can't," he said.

He liked Nonny a lot but he was intimidated by her. After that day when he tried to be sleek and ask her out for a drink or two, she had come up with some excuse even though he could clearly tell that she was lying. Ok. He understood...maybe she was seeing someone. And he decided that he was maybe too different for her medical social field.

"Why not?" Zara enquired.

"I think she's seeing someone. When we took her home...in her bedroom were these pictures of her and some doctor guy. And the guy's pictures are everywhere."

"Don't come to your own conclusions. Just ask."

"I don't want to attempt to pursue someone else's-"

"Theo, just ask the damn doctor out!" Zara was irritated. "The worst that could happen is she rejects you but you won't die-"

"What if she doesn't like me? I'm just a soccer player-"

"Dammit!" Zara hissed. "Are you intimidated by the fact that she's a doctor? Theo, you earn lots more than she does. I thought that thought alone is supposed to comfort you."

Theous sighed deeply. He was just scared of Dr. Nonny Asher. Yes, she was nice and friendly but he could tell that she was a no-nonsense person. He wasn't bringing any nonsense, just genuine attraction from the first time he saw her, even though he lied about knowing her. He would remedy that as soon as he saw her again.

"Zara," he said. "You're a darling."

"I know," she gushed, laughing lightly. "I'm about to board my flight. See you around, Big head."

He laughed. Zara had overheard his dad calling him that once on a video call and she had adopted teasing him too. It was all just harmless fun and he was not offended. And anyway, his head was big depending from which angle you were looking at it.

Feeling chipper, he got out of his car and walked into McDonald's, immediately heading towards the counter.

The few eyes that were present excitedly followed him and whispers reached his ears. He smiled and greeted the people that recognised him.

As he looked over at a corner booth, his eyes caught an uncomfortable looking Dr. Nonny, her eyes looking everywhere except for the couple seated in front of her. The man had his arm around the woman. Under the table, Nonny kept clenching and unclenching her fist.

He watched as the couple turned to him when they heard the excitement in the room.

Dr. Nonny's eyes landed on him and she quickly looked away.

When he looked at the couple, he was confused for a moment. Wasn't that her boyfriend with his arm around another woman in front of her?

The man's face lit up and he grinned widely when he saw Theous.

Theous approached their table and the man tried to compose himself even though excitement was slowly consuming him.

"Good evening," Theous greeted with a smile.

"I can't believe this!" the dark haired man exclaimed. "Theous Dior!! I can't believe I am meeting the future of soccer!!"

Theous caught Dr. Nonny rolling her eyes. An amused smile made its way onto his face. "You must be-"

"Dr. Derek Asher."

Theous paused. Maybe he hadn't heard properly. "Come again?"

The man stood up and shook his hand, grinning like a child whose christmas had come early. "I am Dr. Derek Asher. Pleasure to meet you in person, Theous Dior."

Theous forced a smile. Dr. Nonny was married! Freaking married! Did that make the quiet brunette that was still seated the man's sister or relative? Theous looked at Dr. Nonny...

She kept quiet.

"Can I please steal her for a moment?" he indicated to her.

Derek stared from him to Dr. Nonny with a small frown. "Sure," he reluctantly said.

Dr. Nonny followed Theous to a private corner and he stared at her.

"You don't owe me any explanation whatsoever but is that woman your husband's sister or something?"

"He's my ex." She looked up at him. "I don't want to be in their company," she confessed.

"You looked so uncomfortable."

"I am uncomfortable. Would you want to sit down at the table with your ex and his new girlfriend? I don't want to be here."

"Let's leave then."

She stared at him. "With you?"

"Sure. I don't see why not."

"What will I tell Derek-"

"You don't owe him an explanation. Come on."

He took her hand and led her back to the table. "Derek, it was a pleasure to meet you. Nonny and I are about to head on home. You two enjoy the rest of your meal-"

"Wait!" Derek interrupted, his eyes lingering on Nonny's hand that was clasped in Theous'. "Did I miss anything-"

Nonny glared at him. She was still bitter that Derek had left her even though he wasn't the bad guy. He hadn't dragged her along in an unhappy marriage but she still wished herpes upon him.

"We've got to go," she quickly said before she dragged Theous away.

When they got to the parking lot, Theous turned to her. "I realised that your food was barely touched. Are you still hungry?"

She nodded, glad that he didn't get into what had just happened.

"I cooked. If you're willing."

"Are you inviting me to your house?"

"Yeah."

She stared at him for a moment. "I carry a taser. If you're thinking about even trying to kidnap me or something."

He snorted. "I wouldn't go to this much trouble for someone I was about to kidnap."

Nonny smiled. "And my car?"

"You follow after me."

"The things I do for food... you'd swear I was starved as a child."