10

"Can you please pass me the salt young man?"

Theous grabbed the shaker and with as much respect as he could muster, handed it over to the older woman whose eyes were the only thing he could see. Her burqa covered everything else. He nervously looked at her and frankly, he was terrified because he could not see her face and therefore could not decipher her emotions.

Mrs. Moelo. That was her marital surname which made it Nonny's maiden surname.

The woman had uttered only a greeting and asked for salt in the last 20 minutes since Theous had arrived for the dinner Nonny had invited him to a couple of days back. What he had not expected was to find whom he assumed was her mother seated in the large living room, watching an Indian series while a heavenly scent of cooking assaulted his nose.

He had greeted her and she greeted him back, seeming surprised to see him before she prepared a seat for him on one of the single seaters. Nonny came in with a bowl of chopped tomatoes, saw him and grinned then proceeded to hand the bowl to her mother and left.

That was when she asked for the salt on the coffee table and introduced herself.

"So...who are you?" she asked, salting the tomatoes. "What tribe do you come from?" She stared into the deep wells of his eyes and it felt like she was seeing his naked soul.

He stared at the woman. His background was something he did not like to talk about and he wanted to tell her that without appearing disrespectful. He was about to speak when he was saved by the belle, Nonny who came in looking all kinds of beautiful.

Her short hair was now bleached and was in waves, her makeup blending in naturally while  a pair of light grey jumpshorts hugged her body.

Theous couldn't help staring, even forgetting that there was an older person present in the room with them. His eyes took in every inch of her beautiful brown body, landing on her hips for a moment before he smiled when he saw the excitement on her face.

None of them were aware of Mrs. Moelo's curious expression behind her burqa.

"Hi," Nonny whispered.

He was amused as he stood up from his chair and walked over to her, leaning in for a hug. She was not hesitant at all as she wrapped her arms around his middle while he hugged her around the shoulders, simply out of respect for Mrs. Moelo. If she wasn't present, he knew that he would've scooped Nonny up and probably even lifted her and spun her around like a child because that's how goofy he wanted to be with her. And that was saying something because he only acted stupid around the people he liked and was very comfortable with.

He looked at her. "Hi. The smell of the food is killing me and I just met your mom."

They both looked at her and Nonny made the introductions.

"Mommy," she said. "This is Theous Dior-"

"I know who he is," her mother said.

Theous tried not to smile.

"Well, ok. So...the food is ready, if only we'll go to the dining room while I get everything from the kitchen."

"Let me help," Theous said, following her.

When they got to the kitchen, he grabbed two of the serving bowls. "You look beautiful, Dr. Nonny," he said genuinely.

"Thank you. You look handsome too, as always."

He blushed. He was dressed in a pair of charcoal jeans and an army t-shirt with some white sneakers. His crew cut was once again in waves, the sides faded nicely and he had decided to let his stubble grow for a change. The small beard suited him perfectly.