Chapter Eight: Intertwined

"Just getting some fresh air, huh Lexi?" Steve asked shaking his head in disapproval.

"Yeah right, they were probably making out," Two-Bit laughed to himself. Then, of course, he started to imitate us "making out." God, he really needs to learn to mind his own damn business. I shot him a death glare and he immediately stopped, then pretended to zip his lips. You could tell he was trying his hardest to hold in his laughter.

Everyone was staring at us— you could've cut the tension with a knife. No one was talking, as they all waited for an explanation. I looked over to Dally, who was still standing in the doorway to my right, and he looked blankly back at me. I could tell he wasn't going to start defending ourselves, so I did.

"Okay— I was going to get some fresh air, b-but then I remembered that thing Two said about Dallas getting hauled into the station and I just wanted to make sure he wasn't gonna get sent to the cooler again. And, so what? I'm a little nosy. I wanted to know what he was in there for."

Now that I had started, Dally took the initiative to finish. "Yeah, man. And when she got there, they were already done interrogatin' me. I didn't do anything this time, but you know them cops, man. If anything happens, I'm the first person that comes to mind. So anyways, I decided to walk Lex home, you know, to make sure socs didn't jump her. Those socs, man, they'll get ya in broad daylight," he said, obviously referring to Pony just a couple of days earlier.

The rest of the gang seemed to buy it, though, because they didn't ask anymore questions. Just went back to eating their eggs and chocolate cake. And Two-Bit, of course, went back to sitting inches away from the TV, watching Mickey Mouse— while drinking a beer. God, that man has the maturity of a child. 

After the gang dispersed, me and Dally found ourselves sitting on the couch next to each other. Darry was sitting in his recliner reading the sports column of the newspaper, Two-Bit was sitting on the floor with his nose pressed to the TV, Sodapop had started to clean up the kitchen, and Steve was standing at the kitchen sink licking the chocolate icing off of the spatula Soda used to ice the cake— that had already been devoured by the gang.

Dally's POV:

I looked around the living room and noticed that everyone was busy doing their own things, then my eyes drifted down to Lex's hand, which was resting on the sofa near my leg. Now was my chance. Usually, I take things a lot quicker than this— I'd at least have made out with any other broad by now— but Lex was different. She was a Curtis. Darry would kill me if I tried anything like that— so this would have to do. 

I glanced up at Lex and our eyes met. I slowly looked down and her eyes followed, back down to her hand. She gave me a slight nod and our fingers intertwined. Her eyes lit up and she had a stupid smile on her face— which I'm almost sure I did too.  I gave her a crooked grin and I felt her grasp tighten, as though she never wanted to let go— which was fine by me. I was still staring into her beautiful hazel eyes and her cheeks reddened as my smile grew larger. Man, she was beautiful. Not like the usual broads I pick up— who wear too much eye makeup and tight skirts. She was different. 

Suddenly, Two-Bit bursted out laughing and our eye contact was broken— along with our hands. The outside world seemed to come back into focus and I realized that he wasn't laughing at his stupid show, he was laughing at us.

Alexis' POV:

My face turned even more red than it was before— I probably looked like a cherry at this point. Two-Bit was laughing at us, while the whole gang stared. I wanted that couch to swallow me alive— I was on the verge of tears and shaking from overwhelming embarrassment. Dally lightly rubbed my back and whispered something reassuring in my ear, but I couldn't hear anything. My ears were ringing and it felt like I was going to pass out. I can't stand being the center of attention— especially when that attention is negative. 

"Okay, okay. I think that's enough, y'all" Darry announced, surprisingly looking at Two, Soda, and Steve instead of me and Dally. He gave Soda a quick look, which led to him quickly shooing everyone out the door, everyone except me and Darry. Dally was the last one out, and he gave me a sympathetic look as he closed the door behind him.

"Alexis, it's okay. I should've known this would happen sooner or later. I mean— you're a beautiful young girl. I'm surprised you've never been interested in anyone before. It's just— I've never done this before, this whole parenting thing. But I don't want you to feel like you have to keep secrets from me. I've known Dallas for a long time and despite his terrible track record— I know he's a good guy deep down. And I know he respects me, so he wouldn't try anything bad. Just— please don't feel like you can't trust me when it comes to this kind of stuff," he said with a heavy sigh and tears in his eyes.

I got up from the couch and gave him a hug, which he returned just a little too tightly.

"I love you, Darry" I whispered into his shoulder.

"I love you too, Lexi"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I'm OBSESSEDDD with this ending— I'm a sucker for a cute sibling moment 🥺

This chapter is a little longer than usual, but you know, gotta make that hand-holding scene extra ✨detailed✨ (I definitely don't write smut— so I gotta take a moment like that and RUN with it LMAO)

This chapter is dedicated to my bestie staygoldchoerry who begged me to write more (ily) 😂

Hope you enjoy and stay gold 🌅