Chapter Nineteen: Home

Darry got out of the truck and practically ran to the front door, so he could hold it open for me and Johnny. I laughed to myself and hopped out of the passenger seat, while Johnny followed closely behind. We walked up the front steps and just stood there for a few seconds, staring at the screen door and awaiting the chaos that would ensue as soon as we walked in.

"You ready?" Darry asked with a reassuring smile; he must have noticed my apprehension.

"Absolutely," I replied, nodding eagerly.

Darry opened the front door and within a matter of seconds- the entire gang, except Dal, was huddled around us.

"Hey Johnnycake! Hey Lexie! Long time no see!" Two-Bit greeted with his classic grin, placing his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

"Two... you just saw us yesterday," Johnny mumbled, causing us to burst into laughter. He doesn't get sassy that much, so it's always hilarious when he does.

"So, how are y'all feelin'?" Sodapop asked, his blue eyes dancing wildly with excitement. I hadn't seen him that happy in a while.

"Pretty good, just happy to be home," I replied, grinning at the gang.

"It just ain't the same 'round here without y'all," Steve said, his mouth full of cake, as always.

"So, Dally told me about tonight. Heard he has something pretty special planned," Pony announced, smiling immaturely and cocking an eyebrow.

"Oooh, looks like ol' Dallas Winston has gone soft," Two-Bit laughed.

I shook my head and sighed, but I couldn't help but grin. I mean- it was true.

"Y'all want some cake?" Soda asked, walking into the kitchen before anyone could answer.

Johnny and I looked at each other and laughed in confusion. When the kitchen door swung open, Soda was carrying a chocolate cake with a few slices missing and some sloppy yellow cursive. I squinted, trying to make out what it said.

"Welcome home!" Soda announced with a huge smile.

Johnny and I beamed happily, while Sodapop looked back and forth, from the cake to Steve, whose face was covered in chocolate frosting.

"Well, well, well," he laughed, shaking his head in fake disapproval, "What do we have here?"

Steve rubbed the back of his neck and laughed guiltily, "Sorry."

"It's fine," Johnny said with a small smile.

We gathered around the coffee table and ate our cake, catching up on things. Apparently, the Socs demanded a rumble after Johnny stabbed that guy.

"We didn't tell ya sooner 'cause we didn't want y'all worrying too much. I mean... you were kinda busy trying to stay alive," Soda told Johnny and I with his classic movie star smile, elbowing me in the ribs.

"Yeah, it's gonna be this Saturday at the lot. We don't expect y'all to fight- but just though you ought to know," Darry added, giving me a serious look.

I knew that look. It meant I wouldn't be fighting in the rumble. He's always been overprotective of me, but now more than ever, so I didn't try to argue with him. Not yet, at least.

After we finished up our cake, I went to the bathroom to get ready. I gave myself about an hour because I wanted to look perfect. I dug through the cabinet underneath the bathroom sink until I found my small makeup bag. I don't wear makeup too often, unlike most of the girls who live in our neighborhood, so this was a special occasion. I put on a little eyeliner, some mascara, and the light red lipstick mom used to wear, then called it a day. I brushed my hair, then headed to my bedroom to look through my closet.

I eventually settled on a black dress, my jean jacket, and a pair of red heels, nothing too special. But then again, I didn't want to look like a Soc. I stood in the corner of my room, staring at myself in the full length mirror for a while. I just... I wanted to make sure I looked perfect...

but my thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Come in," I answered.

Johnny slowly opened the door, then poked his head in the room.

"W-Wow Lexie, you l-look real nice," he stuttered, his eyes gleaming.

"Thanks, you think Dally will like it?" I asked, turning to face him while anxiously playing with the silver St. Christopher necklace.

"Like it? I know he'll love it," Johnny replied confidently with a soft smile.

"Thanks again, Johnny," I said with a huge, stupid grin and I gave him a hug.

"Come on, he's outside waiting on ya," Johnny mumbled into my shoulder.

I sighed happily, then headed out the front door. As I stood on the front steps, the gang gave me some final pieces of advice.

"Have fun!" Darry, Soda, and Pony said at the same time.

"Don't get pregnanttt," Two-Bit warned, doubled over in laughter.

"Stay gold," Johnny whispered.

I walked down the porch steps and got into Buck's red corvette, which Dally was still borrowing, as he grinned and winked at me.

"Wow- holy- you look amazing," he stuttered, shaking his head in disbelief.

I smiled and laughed at him, then stared out the window at the passing trees and houses. It felt like a dream- I was finally on a date with Dallas Winston. This was it— after all the problems we'd faced in the last few days— finally.

I was home to stay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note:

FINALLY DONE WITH THIS CHAPTER— SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG— BUT I THINK IT TURNED OUT KINDA CUTE 😭

I've had absolutely NO free-time recently because of school, but the next chapter should be up sooner! I'm literally so excited to write it because... more ✨romance✨

Hope you enjoy and stay gold 🌅