Chapter 3

Friday came around, I ended up leaving early from work to get ready for this date I agreed to. Think about it, I do not think I have ever been on an actual date before. I wore dark blue flared jeans with black leather shoes and a black satin top that had an open back and a slit down the front.

"Want me to come?" Yuri asked as I walked in the living room where her and Avi where lying on the couch, "I can save you if the date goes bad." I stared at her, "I'm joking my little rice cake" She sat up from the couch while intensely staring at me, "What happened to your glasses?"
"I'm wearing contacts."

"Let me do your makeup" Before I could say anything she dragged me into her bathroom and sat me down on the chair in front of the mirror, "Don't worry, I'll keep it natural."

She ended up blow drying my hair and used some sort of product that made my hair look more voluminous, according to her. After the unnecessary make over, I headed over to the sushi restaurant that Leo had sent me the location of. It was near the university, so I ended up having to take the subway to lower Manhattan. It reminded me of my university days as I walked down the street passing by one of NYU's building. I used to be so carefree back then, the only thing I had to worry about were my grades and no matter how much I drank, I never had to worry about having a hang over the next day. But even back then, I felt this emptiness inside of me. Even while growing up, I never was the happiest person and I was always confused as to why. In middle school, while all the kids were laughing and having a good time- I would sit there in silence not understanding why they were so happy and what the reason for this happiness was. If it was because of a joke or if they were genuinely having a good time. Coming from a wealthy family, my brother and I were left alone most of the time. I guess I have come to learn that people are just selfish creatures that only tend to their own needs and make decision that will only benefit them, even if it means hurting or leaving those close to them- I am no different.

I arrived at the sushi restaurant and asked the hostess if someone by the name of Leo had arrived, then followed the hostess to the back of the restaurant where she was.

"Sorry I'm late." I said as I walked up.

She stood up immediately and hurried over to my seat, pulling the chair back for me to sit. She was wearing a short white dress with black tights underneath and boots. And her brown hair was tied in a bun.

"It's fine, you seem like a busy person." She smiled as we both sat down, "I ordered some sake if that's okay."

"Yeah that's fine, let's order some beer too." I said as I looked down at the drink menu. "So how old are you?"

"Twenty one" She had a disgusted look on her face after she took a drink of the beer, "I'm not the biggest fan of beer" She squinted her nose as she looked down at the beer glass she was holding.

I laughed and took a drink of my beer, then ordered another bottle of sake for us and ended up finishing the rest of her beer that she refused to drink any more of.

"So what's your job?" She leaned her head on the palm of her hand as she waited for an answer.

"I'm a publisher" I awkwardly smiled, "What's your major?"

She leaned back into her seat, "A publisher, huh" She paused, "I'm a fashion major. I know what you're thinking, that it's a dumb major and I probably won't do anything with it. But I already got an internship working for one of the top fashion designers in New York." She defensively said, which made me want to laugh.

"I don't think that's a dumb major" Just a major I was not at all interested in, but I couldn't say that to her. I took another shot of sake, then chugged the rest of my beer.