Ch 2: Past Wounds

"I don't have to go to school this week!? Really!?" Kid Sasuke was absolutely elated, his hands slammed down onto the table looking just as gleeful as his future self thought he'd be. The two kage listened in from the hallway.

"That's right." Mikoto smiled cheerfully at him.

"Your mother and I have been discussing the idea for a while now and we don't want you to overwork yourself." Fugaku informed his youngest as he crossed his arms. "Time off from the academy will do your body good so you don't strain yourself."

Kid Sasuke's smile vanished in an instant. It faltered flipping to a frown. Just like that his happy mood had vanished. Did his father not think he could handle the academy? Was he calling him weak? Is that what he thought of him? Itachi never took a break from the academy. Sure he was training super hard but that was just because he wanted to do his best.  "Oh. Well, that's okay. I can handle it, Father. I don't need one. Really, breaks are for losers anyways." He shot a glare skywards where the idiot was likely making a mess of his room. "Like Naruto."

In the hallway Naruto punched Sasuke's arm lightly. But the hokage's smile vanished when he got no reaction from his husband. He was just staring at the floor. Naruto's head tilted in concern, his fist flattened out against his husbands arm. "Sas...?"

He received no response.

"That's not a very nice thing to say about your friend Sasuke." Mikoto admonished her young son.

"It's only true! Naruto's a slacker. He cuts class all the time. But I'm not. I don't. I'm trying my hardest, I-I'm the top of my class. I don't have to miss school to rest. I'm fine. It's my responsibility to attend. I can handle it. Really."

"Not for this week Sasuke...we already spoke to your teachers." Mikoto tried to be gentle. "You can go back next week. It's alright."

Naruto's hand slid to Sasuke's shoulder out in the back hall. The two kage could hear everything going on in there. The sheer anguish he heard in his future husbands voice...the desperation of Sasuke's younger self... it was heartbreaking. The Uzumaki knew whatever was running through his husbands  head wasn't good. It was never good when Sasuke hid behind his bangs. Currently, he could barely see his husbands face at all. He had to get him out of here.

"Sas...hey, let's take a walk. Make sure everything's secure. Do a perimeter sweep with me, yeah?" He guided him by his arm. "Cmon, let's go."

Sasuke nodded, curtly. That wasn't a bad idea. Honestly the shadow hokage would jump at any chance to stop listening to the alive voices of his dead family. Seeing them alive again wasn't the worst part. It was seeing the disappointment in his fathers gaze, hearing that disapproving tone. It was only bringing him more pain. He felt like someone was scraping over scabbed wounds tearing them open in search of fresh blood.

He walked beside Naruto. They fell into step. Naruto's hands behind his head, Sasuke's both shoved in his pockets. They'd left their cloaks behind at the house. It was a warm summer day. They'd likely just started the academy relatively recently. He kept his eyes on the ground, so many memories swirling in his head. He knew this wasn't really about recon. They probably had a few days before that dick and his squad arrived.

Naruto had noticed he was upset. That had to be it. Of course he did. Naruto was adept at reading him. He was grateful his husband had come up with the excuse to lure him outside. He hadn't had the strength to leave on his own.

"You want to talk about what's eating you? It's fine it you don't. I know it's gotta be hard seeing your family..."

"It is, but I-I was prepared for that."