Ch 22: Dinner and a Show

"We want this to be a thrilling fight for our audience over there." Sasuke nodded towards the porch where everyone (save Mikoto who was still in the kitchen) sat. "So let's not bother with genjutsu. It's not thrilling to watch and to be completely honest, even now at my level, I'm pretty sure Itachi still has me beat in that category. I just don't have the knack for it that he does. Let's not waste our precious time."

"Fair enough." Fugaku replied with a terse nod. Truthfully, he was even surpassed by Itachi in genjutsu long ago. Not that the man would ever voice that. "Any other restrictions you'd like to add before we begin?"

"None for you." Sasuke denied. "To keep things somewhat fair...I won't use my Rinnegan at all. This spar'll be strictly sharingan. Mangekyou and all." Sasuke looked down at his hands and put his left arm around his back. "And I should probably keep my left hand behind my back too. Just to even things out more."

"Sasuke." Fugaku's eyes narrowed into a glare. "Don't insult me."

"I'm not trying to. Fact is, I more than out class you. My arm might not even be enough of a handicap." Sasuke nodded slowly, corner of his mouth stretching to the left as he thought. "I should probably refrain from left kicks too. Don't forget I'm a kage."

"Don't you forget I'm head of this clan." Fugaku countered chin raised. "Either you use all your limbs without restraint or I'm going back inside. Choice is yours."

Sasuke smiled softly to himself. He let out a slight chuckle. "Very well." The shadow kage lowered his left arm back to his side. "But it's your funeral, Father."

"Oh goodness." Mikoto sighed walking out with little Sasuke's bowl of diced tomatoes. Her eyes settled upon her husband and adult son getting into fighting stances. "At least they've taken the fight outside this time..."

"Oh, they're not fighting fighting." Naruto assured her tearing his eyes from Sasuke to Mikoto's worried face. "They're just sparring."

Mikoto pursed her lips. Her gaze shifted in uncertainty. "Is that wise considering what happened in the kitchen this morning?"

"There's no need to worry. I'll step in if Sasuke gets a little carried away. You've got my word on that. I won't let Fugaku get his ass whooped too too badly."

"You think my dad's going to lose?" Little Sasuke's eyebrows raised beyond his bangs. The kid was incredulous. He looked at Kage Naruto in a mixture of disbelief and confusion yet again. What Naruto said to his mom...it was all backwards. It should be the other way around. Shouldn't it? His father was going to destroy him. Kage or not. His own abilities...he doubted them. Greatly. He wasn't a match against him. No way.

"He'll lose spectacularly." Naruto confirmed with a wry grin. "You have my word on that."

"Your word?" Little Sasuke looked so entirely lost. He couldn't comprehend what he was being told. "But how can you be so sure I'll win?"

"Because I know you and I believe in you and...honestly I could explain for hours and hours about how your the fiercest ninja alive in our time by the time you get to Itachi's age or so, but sometimes seeing is believing. So just watch. You'll see, Sassy."

"Anyways." Kage Naruto stood up hands on his hips. "I better go referee."

Sasuke blinked lost in his thoughts. Even if he was a kage in the future, his father was so skilled. Could he really rise to such a level? Surpass his brother? Go beyond even his father? He..there was just no way that he of all people could ever-