Chapter 6: The Goblet of Fire

A/N i apologize for the long wait and in advance for the super long chapter

October 1994

"Mione, pleaseeeeee.."

Fred and George followed Hermione around begging for the millionth time for her help. It had only been a week and a half since the Goblet was revealed for any potential - and more importantly eligible - students to enter their name. Entering was quite simple: all a potential champion must do to enter the draw is feed the flames some form of parchment with their name and say what school they were entering for. It was so irritatingly simple. Unfortunately for a certain set of red-headed twins, Professor Dumbledore had in place around the Goblet an age line. Also so agonizingly simple. So so simple, except the twins knew that a spell cast by such an extraordinary wizard such as Dumbledore (no matter how simple it was) would be very very not simple to bypass.

That's where Hermione Granger comes in.

"I have already told you two that I will not be helping you. Why must you always want to break the rules?" The young witch was walking toward Gryffindor tower, making a point of not turning around to face the two sixteen- nearly seventeen- year old boys following her every step.

"You always go on about not wanting to break the rules but wasn't it you who aided Ron and Harry in sneaking about the forbidden corridors?" George said, quickening his pace to catch up to the brunette who was walking way too fast for his liking.

"And wasn't it you who set Snape on fire?"

"And petrified Neville?"

"And that's just your first year!" Fred said as he and George finally managed to stop Hermione from walking away.

"That's completely different. This is way too dangerous-" but Hermione was completely cut off by the twins' loud scoffs.

"And so is fighting a troll-" Fred refuted.

"And being petrified by a basilisk-"

"And running from a werewolf-"

"Fine! Okay! I get it." Hermione cut in before George could finish their point. "I still won't help though."

"Mi-"

"Fred. No." Her face was stern but there was a softness in her eyes. "One: it would take a great deal of time and energy and magical power to get pass that line. Two: I could get into serious trouble for helping you two and first year you promised you would never do anything that would potentially hurt me. And finally: it. is. dangerous. People have died in this stupid tournament before. I know you need the money for the shop, but you can't open the shop if you two are dead!"

At this point Hermione was shaking. Her face was red and her eyes looked so distraught.

"Hermione, we're sorry," Fred said softly as he stepped closer to the younger, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"We won't ask you to help us anymore."

"We just thought of anyone could figure this out it was you."

"But we can't give up." Hermione's head shot up, looking towards George. "We really really need that money."

"This is our dream, Mia."

Hermione released a long sigh. She knew how much it meant to them. She knew how badly they wanted this. But even if she didn't hate the idea of the tournament, there was no way she'd be able to fool Dumbledore's age line. Those two were giving her far more credit than she deserved and she'd only let them down either way.