Chapter 13: The Yule Ball

Monday, November 28, 1994

Fred was relieved that he had finally finished taking Madame Pomfrey's rather bitter healing potions. Sure it had only been about four days since the egg incident, but even if Fred's ear didn't heal in time there was no way he could stand any more potions and worried looks. It's not like he had bloody lost the damn thing. Though he did suppose he could've used the injury to be excused from classes a bit.

Unfortunately, one particularly studious and rule-obeying witch was not about to let him skive off Professor McGonagall's mandatory Gryffindor assembly.

***

"Good afternoon, students. Today I have the pleasure of announcing another very special tradition associated with the Triwizard Tournament."

Everyone looked around. What else could they possibly have planned for them? Isn't it bad enough four students just had to fight deadly dragons?

"The Yule Ball is approaching — a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above- although you may invite a younger student if you wish-"

The girls of Gryffindor house broke out in hushed whispers and giggles, much to the confusion of most of their male counterparts.

"Professor," Seamus piped up. "I'm sorry ma'am but what exactly is the Yule Ball?"

"Well, Mr. Finnigan, the Yule Ball is- first and foremost- a dance.."

The room erupted with even more murmuring, this time mostly from the boys.

"Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then — The Yule Ball is of course a chance for us all to — er — let our hair down. But that does NOT mean, that we will be relaxing the standards of behaviour we expect from Hogwarts students. I will be most seriously displeased if a Gryffindor student embarrasses the school in any way. The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons!"

***

Professor McGonagall was far more serious about this ball than the three Weasley boys had realized. After noticing the trio of red heads laughing at her final statement, she summoned the three to come to the center of the room to demonstrate a dance with her. McGonagall positioned herself with Ron, instructing him to put his hand on her waist. While Ron's face had turned beet red, the Twins couldn't stifle their laughter. Little did they know, their transfiguration professor had an even more embarrassing punishment for them.

"You two didn't think I just wanted to stand there did you?"

The Twins looked at their professor, confused and fearful mixed expressions graced their faces.

"Who exactly are we supposed to practicing with then?"

"Well, seeing as you two do just about everything together, I assumed you two would make lovely dance partners."

Their faces went pale as they looked at one another. She couldn't be serious.

"Now, Mr. Weasley, put your hand on Mr. Weasley's waist-"

"But we're both blokes!"

"And?"

"Well-" George started sheepishly. "Who's supposed to be the girl?"

"I guess that just comes down to which one of you is the prettier twin," McGonagall smirked a most devious smirk. She had been putting up with the two identical boys' mischief for five years now. She felt it only fair that she could return the favor.

"Well that's just not fair, professor!" Fred objected. "I don't see why I should have to be the girl just because I'm the better looking one!"

Everyone, including McGonagall, laughed at Fred's exclamation. Fred, though, took notice of a certain bookworm laughing out the corner of his eye. At least she was enjoying herself, he thought.