Chapter 13-Black Mountain

To be alive is to be capable of moving yourself; the soul is a self-mover.-Plato

Thranduil and Galadriel arrived at the foot of Black Mountain a day later.Getting to the top,where the three wise,old,yet depraved
seers lived,was another matter.

Rumors of this terrible place have always circulated.This is where the souls that didn't cross
over to the Undying Lands
resided.Where ones darkest fears lie.

It was riddled with obstacles,to detour anyone from reaching the
wise men,and treasures within.

Thankfully,Galadriel, head of the White Council,knew the way well,yet it was still a half a days journey,fraught with peril.

"If your visions are validated?" Thranduil asked.

"She must be told." Galadriel simply said,as they began thier ascent,"It is her birthright."

"Yes."Thranduil agreed,pensive.

"You are worried she will leave."

"I worry about nothing."

"Thranduil,you cannot keep your true desire from me."

"My heart knows but one love, sorceress."he shot her a pained look,"-and she is dead."

Galadriel let it go,knowing how stubborn the king could be.

They continued climbing.

"Halfway up,the delusions will start,as if the fog knows your darkest fears.You must try to clear your thoughts,only think of something good and pure.You must let the light in to push the darkness away."

He could think of only one thing.One person.

"Good.Very good."Galadriel mused.

"Stop that."Thranduil said irritably, "Get out of my head."

Darkness had fell when the delusions began.

"Hold to the rock wall,and keep climbing!"Galadriel bellowed over the screeches, howling,and unknown sounds of creatures unseen,"They cannot harm you!Keep going!"

Try as he might,the king could not will away the darkness.

Thranduil saw his father's hideous death,as it was so many years ago.The wretched pain of it crept in again.Gone was his family.The smokey figure reached a hand out to him,as if pleading for help.

"Father!"Thranduil cried out, desperately reaching for him.

Thranduil,NO!"Galadriel warned,"That is not your father, its a demon!HOLD THE WALL!"

She held to him,casting a revealing spell to show him.

Thranduil couldn't believe what he was seeing.A devil of a creature,oozing bile and secretions from every orifice, trying to reach a three- fingered hand out to him.

"Keep going!"

He did as he was instructed,and tried to focus on Gabriellas sweet face.