5

Over the previous two weeks, books have been scattered on my study desk, on my bed, and somewhere on the ground. I haven't let my mother inside my room since I am aware of the outcome. Her presence in my room will result in ten insults and twenty-five repetitions of her advice that I should start doing things neatly and like a mature lady. Additionally, I believe this way is preferable since it allows me to effortlessly find any book I choose rather than having to look through the entire stack.

It's simply your average student's life.

I huffed and stretched my back, putting my pen down. And the fact that it's already eight o'clock in the evening doesn't even surprise me.

That's it. I am taking a short break here.

I made my way to my window, which was close to the balcony entrance. I took a seat in the expansive window space, which was big enough for me to fit my cushions, books, and plush toys. I looked outside, the light already faded into twilight, the streetlights shimmering their golden hue through the darkness.

It's comfortable here, which is why I like it. It has an aesthetic vibe, especially while you're reading a book. The gentle breeze here is the best. I have closed the window since I cannot risk mosquitoes coming here and having a feast on me. That's how it goes.

Unintentionally, my eyes fell on the railing of the footpath where he used to sit. And I swear to the satan himself, my brain just made an image of him sitting there.

Man, he hasn't shown up since we met in the hospital.

I must have lost my mind. Yup, just randomly thinking of someone suddenly after weeks.

I managed to lean myself against the window and turned my gaze to the moon.

"Nah, my brain is just messing with me," I said out loud, convincing myself that it's nothing but my brain playing tricks with me.

The sound of crickets chirruping in the bushes to the side of the porch got louder after I said that. I sat up straight as my jaw dropped while blinking several times. They didn't just-

Damn you, crickets. Nobody likes you, okay!

Such disrespectful little creatures.

I honestly have no idea what to do in a case like this. What I wanted was a short break. Instead, I am getting tormented by these crickets.

I groaned and furiously rolled my eyes, knowing there was nothing I could do. Pouting, I laid my hand on my chin, arched my elbow on my thigh, and stared out the window again.

My shoulders drooped when my eyes caught sight of something glowing in the road. Like, a small round ball of light. I squinted my eyes when I realized what it was.

It wasn't a round ball of light.

He had his blindfold pulled down by his finger and was staring at me with one oddly shining eye. Whose eye on earth glow like a torch?

Upon noticing my gaze on him, his eye twinkled with mischief, and a sly smirk formed on his lips as he placed his blindfold back on. I can still see every single one of his movements despite the complete darkness that surrounds the road and the meager light of the streetlights.

It's always him, isn't it, no matter what?

Am I surprised? No, absolutely not.
I had a gut feeling he'd spawn if I kept thinking about him.

I see him fasting his pace as he walks past my house as quickly as possible.

". . ."

I ignored the bizarre scenario and got up to go to my study table. Yeah, it was a long break.