16

What

What did he say?

I looked at him and he was still avoiding my eyes. Oh, can you hear something in this silence? Yeah, the sound of probably my heart that got shattered.

"What?" My voice was barely a whisper, but it felt like it echoed through the room. I stared at him, hoping I had misheard, but he still wouldn't meet my eyes.

Okay, that was NOT what I wished and hoped for.

"You heard me," he replied almost immediately. "Parting-

"You mean basically turning into strangers." I cut him off sharply as I stood up. He stayed still as I approached him and he just nodded his head at my statement. "Shut up," I whispered.

Suddenly, the pain in my heart stopped, replaced by a surge of anger. I exhaled, trying to calm myself. I couldn't believe I was getting mad about this.

"Seems like the stuff we shared meant nothing," I said, trembling slightly. 

He finally looked at me, his blue eyes filled with a mixture of sadness and regret. They were saying something else entirely, something he couldn't put into words.

"I don't call it 'stuff' though."

I raised my eyebrows. "Oh yeah?" a snicker escaped my lips.

"Yeah. What do you call it then?" he asks me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. 

Honestly speaking, I don't wanna say it. I was a good-for-nothing, delusional, little princess who thought the world revolved around her. 

"I hope it's not love."

That immediately grabbed my attention. He looked serious. Dead-serious. 

"What if it is?" I crossed my arms and tilted my head. My heart quickly increased its pace. His lips curved into a smirk. 

"Love is the most twisted curse of all." He said ever so casually.

I scoffed, but the sound was hollow. "Twisted curse? That's a bit melodramatic, don't you think?"

He shook his head slowly, his eyes never leaving mine. "Not if you've seen what I've seen. Not if you've felt what I've felt."

"Why are you so goddamn cynical?" 

"About-

"Why can't things ever go my way?" I cut him off, frustration bubbling over. "Why am I the unluckiest girl in the existence of mankind?" I looked away, trying to steady my breathing. "Yeah. You're right."

I glanced back at him, and he stood still, letting me finish. "You and I were meant to be parted like day and night. So close yet so far."

I could feel the tears welling up, but I refused to let them fall. "It's like the universe has it out for me. Every time I think things might be okay, something happens to ruin it. God just doesn't love me. Why does everything have to be so damn hard?"

I was ranting by now. "Oh, the world we live in..." I fought against the tears welling in my eyes. "We share the same world, yet we exist in entirely different ones." A bittersweet smile formed on my lips. "You see the world through your pain, your scars, while I see it through my dreams, my hopes."

He stepped closer, trying to get my attention, but I kept going, my voice rising. "I know—"

"And you," I pointed at him, cutting his opinion off, "standing like you deserve my stupid yapping and muttering nonsense while you could have destroyed my delusions. "