Chapter 13 - The Coins of Zakynthos

"For me there are neither locks nor bolts, whatsoever I desire is mine."

Three Schakales (Soledad Marquesa, Ian Flynn and Hans Roth) are preparing to rob a jewelry store. As the store starts closing for the night, they kick the door in and start shooting with automatic rifles. The owner, Sam Baxter runs to the vault for safety. Shutting the door, the criminals find him and start drilling into the vault's door. Seeing that they are going to get in, Sam gets a small box with three gold coins in it and eats the coins. Sam, is almost dead from the coins when the vault door is blown open.

Detectives Nick Burkhardt and Hank Griffin arrive on scene with Sergeant Wu. Going into the vault they see it's robbed of all items and Sam Baxter's dead body. Face covered with hundreds of glass and metal shards. Unfortunately, the security camera was ripped out by the robbers. They notice that the robbery looks professional, meaning the thieves knew what they were doing. 

Meanwhile, the three robbers return to base camp and search through the coins. After looking at all the coins and not finding their intended coins, they decide it must be still at the shop. Soledad Marquesa believe one of his accomplices must've stolen the coins. Threatening them, he leaves angry and Ian and Hans are left alone when someone slips into the house. Drawing their guns, Ian and Hans shoot each other thinking the other was the burglar. A Steinadler emerges from the shadows and look at the two dead bodies. 

Dr. Harper reports back to Nick and Hank about Sam Baxter and how he died. Saying his whole system shut down, and not the blast alone. She started looking in his system only to discover three gold coins. Since gold normally doesn't cause allergic reactions powerful enough to kill, so the coins must be made of some other metal. The coins must be valuable if he swallowed them. Getting them out of the body, they discover a swastika on one side of the coin and the head of the Nemean Lion on the other. Hank collects the coins for evidence, and Harper gets upset claiming she still needs to run tests. Nick gets a call about the BMW at the scene and they head there next. 

Arriving at the scene, officer Brenner is waiting for them in his police cruiser. Nick and Hank enter while Brenner watches the perimeter. Going in first, Hank forces Farley Kolt to the ground Brenner sees Soledad run out and pursues him, unfortunately he jumps the fence escaping. Hank, upset with Brenner for letting the suspect get away, Brenner goes to his car to call for a coroner when a hank grabs and kills him. Nick, arresting Kolt, sees him woge into a Steinadler. 

In the precinct Nick and Hank report their findings to Captain Renard. Hank talks about the guy he took down and also mentions the coins. The Captain asks to see the coins and Hank reluctantly gives them up. Hank, wanting to interrogate Kolt gets told no because he was too rough with him earlier and Nick is instructed to conduct the interview. Renard examines the coins felling their power, makes a call to his friend in France saying he's found the Coins of Zakynthos. Nick tells Hank to go home since he's angry and has had a long day. 

During the interview, Farley Kolt tells Nick this isn't about him being a cop, it's instead about being a Grimm. Kolt explains the robbers were looking for the Coins of Zakynthos. Explaining the story about the coins, how anyone who come into contact with them has a strong influence on others. He says the coins were safely kept until 18 years ago, when the Grimm protecting them was killed in a car accident. The accident, taking place in Rhinebeck, New York, same place Nick grew up. 

Nick calls Monroe to come to the trailer to help translate some German entries. Discovering Schakales, who are ruthless killers and like eating babies, and Steinadlers which are eagle-like creatures who are usually involved in the military. Before leaving, Monroe discovers a vintage Akeley film camera and a Kineclair projector. He comments Aunt Marie must've used them somehow. 

The Captain is in his room preparing for bed, the coins in his hand gaining power from them. Going to bed, he puts the coins on his nightstand. In his dream, he wakes up and goes to the balcony. Looking out from the balcony, he sees a massive crowd in downtown Portland cheering. Some hold flags with a lion head on them, the same ones from the coins. The crowd is cheering as if he's their leader.

Captain Renard shows up the next day in full uniform. Ordering a press conference for 2 PM, all personnel required to attend. Nick searches for the coins in the evidence depository. Unable to find them, only finding the box that contained them empty. The evidence officer says either Renard did not take anything in or did not fill out the log. The officer has to kick Nick out so they can go the press conference; Nick keeps the box. At the conference, Hank is there and asks Nick if he found the coins. Officer Brenner is also in attendance, but he looks strikingly similar to Soledad Marquesa. The press think Renard's speech is to launch a political campaign, such as his intentions to run for mayor, but he says it's just a warning to any possible criminals.

Soledad Marquesa is still at large so Nick and Hank go to his last known location, a hotel room. No one is there, but they instead find some clothes and a suitcase. The suitcase contains a film reel with film in it and two letters concerning the coins. One letter is in German from 1943 and the other is in English from 1945. The one in English from the Office of Strategic Services is about the coins. It says that the coins are made of gold, arsenic, and mercury. They are not to be handled, they were transferred in a lead box to an allied headquarters' vault. Ten coins were thought to exist, however only three were ever found. Hank becomes convinced that the coins made him act strangely, making him suspect that the Captain has them in his possession.

Hank goes to search for the coins himself in Renard's office. While searching, Nick bursts in with Farley Kolt, who's just been cleared in the murder investigation. Kolt knows Soledad has to be here, and is after Renard for the coins. Soledad arrives in the parking garage and causes a blackout by destroying the breaker. As Hank, Nick and Kolt arrive, Soledad grabs Renard. A gun fight erupts and Nick helps Renard, but in the process the coins and Kolt are gone. Hank shoots Soledad, and as he lays on the floor near death Nick asks him if he killed his parents but Soledad dies before answering.

Nick tracks Farley to his hotel room, telling him to put the coins on the bed and leave. Farley refusing gets ready to attack Nick, but instead gets hit hard by Nick's gun causing him to drop the coins. Quickly retrieving the coins, Nick tells Farley to forget the coins forever. Back at the trailer Nick examines the coins, but as he starts to feel the coins power start, he quickly puts them back in the box. Stuffing the box behind another bigger box in the weapons cabinet. 

Nick loads the film from Kolt onto the old Kineclair projector. Cranking the film, it turns out to be old video from the 1940s showing Adolf Hitler giving a speech. Looking closely at Hitler's coat collar, the Coins of Zakynthos are clearly visible. Hitler woges into a Blutbad. 

He returns home and greets Juliette with a kiss before getting ready to shower. He starts to realize that Farley really knew his mother, and was playing him. While showering a scene of his parents car accident appear in this head, and Farley appears and kills both his parents for the coins. He starts believing he made a mistake letting him go. Walking to the bed with Juliette occupying it, he slips under the covers as Juliette rolls over and rests her head on his chest. Kissing her forehead, he closes his eyes and falls asleep.