Chapter 14 - Grimm vs. Dragon

"Said the dragon, 'Many knights have left their lives here, I shall soon have an end for you, too,' and he breathed fire out of seven jaws."

Two robbers break into a warehouse attempting to steal copper wire, but instead are killed by a dragon like creature. Detectives Nick Burkhardt and Hank Griffin are called in to investigate. They return to where the warehouse's owner was attacked. Upon cornering the suspect, Sergeant Wu is spayed with oil forcing him to retreat with Nick ducking behind cover to avoid the fire the man breathes out.

The suspect, now identified as Fred Eberhart, an unemployed welder with no known address, and a scarred face. His only daughter, Ariel, works at a nightclub as a fire eater/breather. Going there, Nick runs into Monroe in the audience, who tells him that Ariel is a Dämonfeuer. He also explains that a Grimm was recently beheaded in Europe, possibly by Reapers, and tells him to "watch your back". 

After questioning Ariel, Nick follows her home. She attacks and pins him, ripping his shirt open to reveal his chest and kisses him. Juliette calls, and Ariel quickly answers and pretends that both her and Nick are fooling around. Nick takes the phone back, but Juliette already hung up and he leaves immediately. At home, Juliette grills him about visiting her without his partner, Hank.

Ariel calls Nick and promises to tell him everything she knows. Calling Juliette, Nick tells her that both he and Hank are going to see Ariel, together. Satisfied, Juliette laughingly promises a fire dance of her own when he returns. Nick and Hank find Ariel's house decorated throughout with copper wire, and decide to leave quickly as a lightning storm closes in. Arriving home, Nick finds Ariel in his bed, demands where Juliette is. Upset, she breathes out fumes and escapes, but calls back on Juliette's phone telling him to meet her, but with "no cops". 

Driving, Nick and Monroe try to figure out what to do. Monroe quickly realizes that Ariel has created a "classic quest scenario" and spots an old trail tunnel and believes that's the lair. Arriving, they spot Juliette's car and Nick plans to keep Fred occupied while Monroe gets Juliette out. Fred, proving too strong for Nick, forces Nick to kill him, giving him the death that Ariel wanted for her father. Now it's Ariel's turn as she chants a poem and ignites a plume of fire. Nick reunites with both Juliette and Monroe and relaxes believing that Ariel is dead. 

Driving home, Nick apologizes to Juliette but can't promise that things with get better. In return, Juliette can't promise she can "keep doing this", but is too tired to talk about it right now. Nick suddenly remembers what Aunt Marie told him about leaving Juliette for her own good. 

Back at the old train tunnel, Ariel walks out unscathed.