Chapter 4

I woke up this morning, doing my whole routine, before heading out into the Maze with Minho. He wanted me to run with him again, just in case I do see something that he doesn't. According to him, I was more vigilant and observant when it came down to it so he needed my help.

We run the route, taking breaks in between, taking our lunch break, then heading back to the Glade. Eventually, we start jogging through the last corridor, where we found Alby and Newt waiting for us. Minho and I look at each other, sharing the same confused expression as we make our way to them.

The two boys walk with us over to the Map Room, explaining everything on the way there.

"So Ben just got stung and ran back here," I ask, looking for confirmation from the duo as we enter the room.

Newt nodded, "It was a bloody mess. I asked Thomas to get some fertilizer and the shank comes running through the woods with Ben on his buggin' tail. We had the Med-jacks lock him up in the Pit."

Alby sighs, putting his hand up to his face and rubbing his temples as Minho and I finished up, "I hate doing this, man. Every time it happens, I just wish it would be the last but someone just ends up getting stung again."

"Right," Minho mumbles, "it's been a bit since we banished someone. I completely forgot about it."

The room falls silent as the idea of throwing out one of our own occupies our thoughts--leaving them out there in the Maze after the Doors close, just letting the Grievers get to them. I feel disgust flow throughout my body. Not disgust about the Grievers, but the disgust about myself, for just standing by and watching it happen.

"Well," Alby breaks the silence, "it has to be done. Soon at that. Doors will shut soon." He exits the room, leaving the three of us alone. We all glance at each other, knowing exactly what was going through each other's minds--like we could communicate just by looking at each other.

Minho lets out a loud sigh, "Alright, I'll see you guys out there. I gotta go get Ben." He opens the door, stopping to look back at us before leaving the room.

I look over at Newt, who stood leaning against a desk beside me, "Man, I hate these things."

"Same here," he sighs. "Come on. I don't wanna get Alby more riled up than he already is."

I nod and follow the boy out, the two of us walking side by side as we make our way to the Doors. I look up at the boy, a solemn look on his face as his gaze focused on what was ahead of us.

The boy and I part ways as we get to the group--Newt taking his stick and joining the Keepers as I take my stick and stand with the some of the other boys on the side. Minho comes through, holding Ben who's all chained up. The sight of him thrashing around and trying to escape Minho's grasp weakens my stomach.

Eventually, Minho sets him in the middle of the semi-circle, and takes his place with the rest of the Keepers. Ben cries and begs us to stop.

The loud gust of wind blows through the Maze, signaling its soon closure. Alby shouts, telling us all to lay our sticks down and begin pushing him in. The terrified boy looks around, trying to push the sticks back and escape. He glances around, and my eyes shoot downward, not wanting to meet his orbs.

Eventually, the Keepers push Ben in through the Maze, as the Doors shut. His screams and cries muffling, as the two stone walls collide. I look around at everyone's distraught faces. I feel like throwing up. This is sickening.

Without a word, I toss my stick to the ground and walk off to my room. Big strides and fast steps, I try getting away from the whole thing as fast as possible.