Chapter 3

Two years later...

Sounds of wind going past me fills my ears as I run through the long, grey corridors alongside Minho. Runner's high filling me--feeling euphoric in a way. For some reason, I feel happy and excited to be out in the Maze today. I feel the breeze blow against my skin and my two dutch braids flowing behind me, as our feet stomped on the hard, concrete floor. The vines stretched across the walls, making it seem as though the gray concrete blocks were turning green.

The Keeper and I run around, turning corners and pulling out our notepads to take notes when needed. We stop at an intersection to take a short break, pulling water and an apple out of our backpacks. Sitting on the cold, concrete floor across from me, the boy looks up and examines my expression.

"Am I tripping or does something have you in a good mood today," he asks me as he takes a bite out of his apple.

"I don't really know, to be honest," I answer, "maybe it's the fact that we're getting a new Greenie today."

"Oh yeahh," he laughs before taking another bite of his apple, "you think it's finally gonna be another girl?"

I shrug my shoulders as I take a swig of water, "Maybe. I mean, it's been a little over a year now and they've still only sent boys. It's kinda lame, not gonna lie."

"What, are we boys too boring for you or something?"

"Yes," I say simply, not saying another word for a few moments as the boy just looks at me, dumbfounded. I finally let a smile form on my face and laugh as I lightly punch his arm, "I'm just messing with you, dude! I mean, most of the boys do get kinda boring and aren't as fun. But you and Newt could keep me company and I would never get tired of it."

Minho instantly relaxes at my words, a nervous laugh escaping his mouth, "Ya know, sometimes I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, Clem."

I roll my eyes at the boy, not responding as I continue to eat my apple. There's a short-lived silence between us before the Asian boy begins talking again.

"Seriously, though, you think the Greenie today is gonna be different?"

I look at him, my eyebrows raised as confusion enters my mind, "What do you mean?"

"I mean--do you think we'll actually get somewhere with them and they'll turn the tide of things," he pushes the questions, looking deep in thought, "I mean, it's been three years and I feel like we haven't gotten anywhere near close to escape."

I take a moment to think about it, before groaning, "Man, you're giving me a headache." I look at my watch before looking back up at the boy. "Look, we figured out the pattern in which the sections of the maze open--maybe that means something. But we can't just give up when we've been searching for this long." I stand up, tossing the straps of my backpack over my shoulders, "Come on, we've already spent too much time on this break. We can't waste anymore of our precious time before the Doors close."

He sighs before reluctantly standing up, following my actions. I break off into a sprint, following our route.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

Minho and I make our way back to the Glade, rarely talking during our breaks. I think all this about the Maze is actually getting to him more and more. The conversation from before comes into my mind, and I remember how contorted his face looked as he thought about what could happen today. I lightly shake my head, trying to get the thoughts out of my mind. Like I told Minho, we can't just give up. Maybe the Greenie will have information we can utilize.