Chapter 12

Newt lets go of my hand and steps in front of me in an instant, the boy's arm spreading out in front of me. Everyone faces the boy in front of us.

Gally stands there, his face contorted in so many ways as sweat drips down his face. He holds a gun in his right hand.

"Gally," Thomas stammers, worry in his voice. The brunette takes a few steps towards him before being pulled back by Teresa.

"Stop," she tells him as she points at the trembling boy, "he's been stung."

Gally drops the stinger of a Griever onto the floor. Is he crazy? We don't have anymore syringes full of that serum. Why would he risk his life for memories that don't even matter at this point? We're escaping right now, nothing that happened in the past matters anymore.

"We can't leave," Gally states, the hand with the gun shaking tremendously.

"Newt," I whisper to the boy, his head turning to glance at me.

"I know," he whispers back, acknowledging the gun.

Thomas holds his hands out, trying to get him to calm down, "We did, Gally. We're free from this place."

"Free," the boy scoffs, "you think we're free out there? Huh? No." He raises the gun, pointing it directly at Thomas. Tears threaten to fall out of the boy's eyes as he speaks with a quavering voice, "There's no escape from here."

I stand there in shock. I want to do something, I want my body to move. I want to stop Gally. I want to open my mouth and knock some sense into him. But against a gun, my odds are slim. My body stays there, frozen.

"Gally, you're not thinking straight right now, okay," Thomas tells the boy with a calm tone, "we can help you. Just put down the gun."

I notice Minho strengthen his grip on the wooden spear near him as he glares at the boy, eyeing his every move.

"I belong to the Maze. All of us do," Gally cries, his finger moving to the trigger.

We all shout, our bodies moving towards the brunette boy in the front. Chuck jumps out in front of Thomas as Minho throws the spear at Gally, finding a home in his chest.

As we all notice the spear in the boys chest, we all freeze, looking at him. He loudly gasps for air, coughing as he slowly falls to the ground. The boy lies on his side, staring at us with the spear hanging out of his chest. His eyes flicker around. Is he still alive?