Chapter 7

I wake up randomly, my eyes opening as I look out the window. Dawn was nearing and it was getting about time to walk over to our tree to watch the sunrise. I sit up, looking to my right and finding Newt still sitting on the chair. He was sleeping, his head against the wall and his hair a mess. I smile at the sight. He looks so at peace and so relaxed--as if all the stress from the past few days were nonexistent.

I put my boots on and walk over to my desk, looking into the mirror as I put my hair into two dutch braids again. Strapping my backpack onto me, tying my pouches onto my belt, and putting all the other accessories needed to be a Runner on, I finish getting ready. I walk over to Newt, the boy still sleeping with a soft expression on his face.

I place my right hand on the boy's cheek, speaking with a whisper, "Newt, come on. It's time to wake up, we're gonna miss it."

The boy's eyes open, looking around before landing on my face--a smile instantly forming on his lips as he sees me. He looks at me, as if in a daze, the grogginess still in his system. "Good morning, Clem," his raspy voice clearly showing he was still sleepy.

"Good morning, Newt," I say in a soft voice.

The boy slowly sits up and stretches before looking up at me. I smile and ruffle his hair before walking towards my door, "Come on, now. We're gonna miss it if you take any longer."

He groans before getting up, following me out the door. He walks on my left, occasionally bumping into me as we make our way to the tree.

"I thought I said 'until I fall asleep', not the whole night," I remark, looking to the boy on my left, the wind messing his hair up even more than when I ruffled it. "Now your body's hurting and it's because you didn't sleep in an actual bed or hammock."

He rubs the back of his neck, "I know, I know. But I fell asleep as you fell asleep."

We make it to our tree, climbing up to our usual spot and sit there, our feet dangling off the branch. We watch as the sun brightens up the Glade and a mixture of colors fade into the sky. The two of us sit in comfortable silence most of the time, my head resting against his shoulder, with small conversations every now and then.

"Are you gonna go back out there with Thomas and Minho, today," Newt asks me.

"I mean, I don't really have much of a choice," I answer, lifting my head up off his shoulder, "the three of us are the only runners left. I gotta do my part and help as much as I can."

He nods before looking back at the sky, "Just please, be careful, Clem. I know you will, I just can't stand thinking of having another night like two days ago. Waiting for you to come back while I just have to bloody sit here."

"I'm going to come back, Newt," I assure him, placing my hand on top of his, "and I'm going to find an exit out of this place. Then we won't have to go through nights like that ever again."

He meets my eyes with a smile on his face, "Okay."

Eventually, we make our way down the tree and go our separate ways--him going over to check on Alby and me going to the Runners shack to meet up with Minho. As I get there, Minho and I pack things up in our backpacks--knives, food from Fry, notepads and pencils, and anything else we would need. Minho packs double of what he usually needs and takes another backpack for Thomas. He places the thing that was inside the Griever in his backpack before leaving the room.

"I'm gonna go get Thomas," the boy tells me, "I'll meet you at the doors."

I nod before we part ways. As I walk over to the doors, I snack on a sandwich that Fry had made for me. "Never run on an empty stomach," the boy always tells me when he hands me my breakfast every morning.