Chapter 10

We all run through the corridor and into the room, shouting coming out of almost everyone's mouths. Blades and spears in the air, we charge at the Griever. The creature comes at us, as the boys hit it with their spears and using its momentum against it, pushing it to the edge. Suddenly, its tail starts flailing around as it grabs one of the boys and throws him over the edge. Teresa starts hitting at its legs as its tail goes flying around again, hitting the key out of Chuck's hands and knocking me to the floor.

The boy shouts and runs after it. "Chuck," I shout, "what did I say about going somewhere without me?"

I scramble to my feet and sprint after the boy, grabbing ahold of his legs just as he catches the key and leans over the edge. The boy's feet starts swinging around as he screams, "Griever! Pull me up, pull me up!"

I hoist the boy back up onto the ground as the Griever climbs up the side. I look over and notice that the boys were able to push the Griever that was attacking them over the edge. Looking back on my right, I realize another Griever is crawling up, surrounding us.

"Go, Chuck. Go! Run," I yell as I grab the boy's hand and start sprinting over to the group of boys. Their attention instantly turns to us as they all come running over, stabbing at the two Grievers as we run past.

"Teresa," I hear Thomas shout, "go with Clementine and Chuck!"

The three of us run over to the dead end, the walls lifting as they did before as soon as it detects the key. "Go, Clem," Minho shouts at me, "get to the exit!"

I continue dragging Chuck as Teresa follows behind. We run through the dark tunnel before coming across a door. Teresa and I try pulling at the sides and opening it but to no avail.

"It won't open," Teresa shouts.

"No klunk," I roll my eyes.

I look back at the scene behind us--Grievers were roaring at the boys as they all shouted and tried stabbing them with their spears. The creatures' deathly tails latching onto a few boys and launching them into the air behind them.

Suddenly, a bright red light catches my eye behind me. I turn and notice a circular pattern--looking like a hologram--on the door. Numbers were in each row.

"It's a code, eight numbers," Teresa mumbles as she turns to me, seeing if I know what it means.

It all clicks in my brain as I pull out the piece of paper from before, the sequence of when the sections of the Maze open up written on it. I have part of it memorized but Minho knows the rest, and I did not feel like yelling back and forth when I had the paper in my grasp.

"Type them in as I say them," I tell Teresa, the girl nodding as she turns to the door. "7-1-5-2-6-4-"

Suddenly a loud thump is heard behind us, and I turn around--finding a Griever on top of Minho. Jeff goes over and stabs it, saving Minho before being taken by the creature himself.

"Clementine, focus," Teresa shouts at me, bringing my attention back to her and the code.

"Right- sorry," I mumble as I shake my head, clearing my thoughts. "8-3- that's it."

As she types the last number in, the light in front of us turns green and a box with the word "Complete" shows up before it goes dark completely. I turn around, the boys now inside the tunnel with us as the walls slowly make their way back to the ground. The Grievers continue pushing through, getting locked or squished by each wall. Just before the last Griever could get to us, Thomas throws his spear into its mouth--causing it to fall backwards just as the wall lands on top of it. The green goo spills out from under the wall, causing looks of disgust to spread around most of the boys.

Newt and I run to each other, his hands landing on either side of my face as his chocolate orbs look into mine. "Are you okay," the blonde asks me, his hair sticking up and a cut on his left cheek. Sweat drips down the boy's face.

"I should be asking you that," I whisper to the boy as a gentle smile forms on my lips. Before he could say anything, the tunnel door closes behind us and everything goes black. I feel Newt's hands leave my face as one of them reaches down, grabbing a hold onto my left hand and interlocking our fingers. He gives my hand a light squeeze.

Suddenly, the door at the end of the tunnel cracks open, revealing a small light to us. All the boys were crowded around us. I look up at Newt, the two of sharing a confused look before we both glance over at Minho and the rest of the boys.

Nobody says a word.

Teresa reaches out and fully opens the door, the light getting brighter as she does. The girl steps out, Chuck following behind her. All the boys follow the two as Minho, Thomas, Newt and I stay back, the four of us looking at each other.

Still holding hands, Newt and I follow the group as Thomas and Minho walk alongside us. We step out into a long, dark hallway. Lights in the ceiling about a few yards away from each other, causing the darkness to overcome most areas.

The place looks like the bottom of a facility--numerous long pipes spreading out across the walls. The grey atmosphere gives me the creeps as I continue to examine the place. Something about it didn't feel right. It didn't feel real.

The four of us make our way to the front of the group, where Teresa and Chuck stand waiting for us. Suddenly, a loud noise is heard from behind us, bringing everyone's attention to that direction as we all turn.

Lights begin to flicker on down the hallway, making a loud noise as each light turns on one by one like a domino-effect. We all look at each other, silence still in the air.

Thomas starts taking small steps towards the direction of where the light was going, Teresa following shortly behind him. We all follow the boy--Teresa, Thomas, and Chuck in the front while Winston, Fry, Minho, Newt and I were behind them. The rest of the boys follow along behind us.

Newt and I continue walking hand in hand as everyone is completely silent. None of us have said a word since we got into the dark tunnel.

The sounds of things moving--like a cart moving around on hard floor--echo through the pipes. As we walk, I notice smoke coming out of some of the pipes, the occasion happening a lot more often than I thought it would.

Eventually, we come across a door, everyone coming to a stop as Thomas notices it. A red and green light was attached to the wall beside the door, parallel to each other. The green light was on.

Above the door, an exit sign rested on the wall, the light on it being green as well.

"Seriously," Fry blurts out, the first word being spoken since this place was revealed to us. I let out a small laugh at the irony. After everything we went through, the grand escape for us was a small door with the word "Exit" held high and shiny above it. The Creators really know how to mess with us, huh?

Fry looks at me, sharing the same look of disbelief. I shrug before looking back at the door.

Thomas walks up to it, ever so slowly moving his hand to open it. As he grabs it, he turns to all of us, looking at us before looking back at the handle, turning and pushing.

The boy pushes the door open, the sight in front of us immediately making me feel sick to the stomach. Some of the ceiling lights were falling down and flickering, and a man's body sat up against the wall. Two other bodies laid at the end of the hall where glass doors stood. A beeping is heard from inside the area, sounding like an alarm. Again, I get a weird feeling about the whole situation. Chills spread around my body. One thought crosses my mind as I see all of this:

How was everything in the Maze still working and being managed if they were dead this whole time?