Chapter 37 - Jace

Jace

"Why the fuck is she coming?" Kaden groans, leaning against his jeep.

I follow his gaze. Tyler is walking towards us with Valerie linked to his arm. Asher is speed walking in front of him, rolling his eyes.

We really shouldn't be surprised that Valerie is here. Since the Halloween party two weeks ago Valerie has been extra clingy. She probably feels guilty for hurting her boyfriend. But she's been around all the time. When we go out to dinner, she's there. After my classes with Tyler, she's there. I can't even have a guys' night at my place without her being there.

We are going to the beach today, so I don't even bat an eye when she strolls up. It's a given that she's going to join in. The only thing making this day tolerable is that Loni will be at the beach too.

Loni told me she likes hanging out with me. I've tried to keep it as casual as possible though. Not doing anything that would resemble a date. We would get dinner after the volleyball games with Hadley. Make a coffee run together. Now we are going to the beach with my friends.

As much as I would like to take her on a date, a real date, I don't.

"And then he announced to the whole class that me, Valerie Marquez, got the only perfect score on the exam."

Kaden and I groan in unison as soon as we hear her voice.

"I mean, it's obvious that I'm the smartest one in that class, but I don't want Professor Blake to make the other students feel bad, you know? I like to be humble."

"Ah, yes, aren't you a saint," Kaden mocks.

"I am," she snaps. "I even offered up my tutoring services."

"I brought my paddle boards," Kaden says pointing up to the roof of his car, completely ignoring her comment, forgetting about her altogether. "It's supposed to be a great day on the water."

"Oh, yes, TT, I need you to take my picture on one when we get out there, kay?" Valerie coos, tugging Tyler's arm. 

"Okay," Tyler says unenthusiastically.

"Don't worry," Asher says, shimming himself between Kaden and me. "I packed a shit ton of tequila."

I haven't heard a better statement in my entire life.

We pile into Kaden's jeep and before we even start driving, the first thing he does is turn on the radio, playing his music on full blast to drown out the sound of Valerie's voice. It definitely makes the drive much more bearable. That, and the thought of seeing Loni in her bikini. Ah yes, it is going to be a great day.