Chapter 34 - Jace

Jace

"Come on, Jace, what the hell is this?" Coach Harris grunts while holding up a pair of grass-stained pants.

I shrug.

Coach rolls his eyes, cranking his neck side to side. "I told you to do the laundry, so please, just do it. And do it right." Snarling, he throws the dirty pants into the pile with the rest of them before walking out of the locker room.

I'm so fucking tired of this. I knew I was going to be his bitch, but I can't catch a break. Nothing I do is right. I know he's just trying to bust my balls, and teach me a lesson, but come on, I got here two hours before practice to organize the equipment and help clean the field with the maintenance crew. I just finished cleaning the showers in the locker room and now I have to do everyones' laundry. This is exactly how I pictured my junior year with the team.

When all of my tasks are finished, I walk out to the field. Coach is currently standing next to a freshman, Martin Rays, at the pitcher's mound.

"Coach's new prodigy," Kaden says, walking up next to me. "He's pretty good for a freshman."

"Not as good as you."

"Coach has been having me work with him on his fastball. He's picking it up pretty good."

"How does your dad feel about that?"

Kaden lets out a long sigh. "You know I try to avoid telling him about anything baseball-related. Unless I want a lecture or a "back in my glory days story", I keep my mouth shut." Kaden watches as Marin throws a curveball. "I wish you were out there with us, man."

"I think Coach enjoys having me as his bitch than having me actually play with the team."

"I think I'm going to come clean to coach. Tell him that it was all me—"

"No fucking way," I shake my head. "Your dad would kill you. And then me. You need this team."

Kaden goes quiet, keeping his eyes locked on the field. Kaden is a good guy. He wants to do the right thing. But I can't let him do that. Baseball is his entire life. His father's entire life. That's all their relationship revolves around. Kaden knew how to throw a baseball before he could even talk, I'm sure of it.

"Maxwell, those toilets in the locker room better be clean enough for you to eat out if," Coach calls to me from across the field.

I curse under my breath. "Better get back to it." I slap Kaden on the back before retreating back to the locker room.

I hate this. I want to play baseball. But being suspended from the team has really opened my eyes. I don't need it. In a way, I've been playing baseball, but not for myself. My dad made me start the sport when I was six, and I did it for him, to get his attention, his approval. Then when I got older I played mainly to get out of the house and away from him. But I don't need to play now, and I don't want to. I mean, the guy hasn't seen me play since I was on the peewee team. I also haven't seen my dad in years, so I don't need the excuse anymore. Maybe I should just quit now. I really have nothing to lose.

Before I get knuckle deep in the toilets, I look at my phone. There's a text from Loni

LONI: Come over tonight

I need a distraction and I can't think of a better person to get my mind off of things. Not just for sex. I want to talk to her. I want to look into those green eyes and confide in her. Because for some reason, even with our no talking no relationship rule, I know she'll listen to me.

ME: I'll be there.

***

When I get to Loni's apartment, she greets me with a small smile. Normally, she would pull me in by my shirt and shove her tongue down my throat.