Chapter 39 - Jace

Jace

During one of my Sunday calls with dad, I mentioned to him that I'm bringing someone with me to Thanksgiving dinner. He sounded surprised but pleased. He told me he couldn't wait to see me and for me to meet his fiancé, Kim. But honestly, the only person making this bearable is Loni. If it weren't for her, I think I would have backed out.

Hell, I want to back out even though she is coming with me. But I can't do that to her. Loni hasn't spent time with her family for the holidays since she graduated high school. I found that out as soon as she jumped into my car, all cheery-eyed with rosy cheeks and the biggest grin. Normally, she orders in Chinese food and watches horror movies all night anytime there's a holiday. Thanksgiving, Christmas, you name it.

She looked so excited when I picked her up that I didn't want to spoil her fun by telling her about mine and my father's history. All she knows is that we don't keep in touch much. I've spared her the gritty details of our relationship. If I can even call what we have a relationship. 

We are an hour and a half into our drive down to Miami. Thirty minutes to go. With each passing minute my grip tightens on the steering wheel, my chest constricts, and I can barely breathe.

"Did you grow up in Miami?" Loni's soothing voice pulls me out of my building anxiety.

"Pretty much," I say cooly.

Loni looks at me for a brief second with wide eyes, then adjusts herself to look forward. She wants to get to know me. I want her to know me, to let her in. I'm tired of the arrangement that we have. I want a full-on relationship with this girl, but telling her about all of my family drama is not the way I want to start any kind of relationship. But there is also a part of me that wants her to know everything.

"When I was twelve years old, my parents divorced so I lived with my mom in Tampa."

"Does she still live there?"

My eyes burn. Yup, this is exactly why I didn't want to talk about this. But the look in Loni's eyes, the compassion behind her smile, I can't hold anything back.

"No," I say on a deep exhale. "She died right after I turned sixteen."

"Oh, Jace—"

I shake my head. I don't want to hear the words "I'm sorry" come out of her mouth. The pitiful expression she's wearing is enough to make me cry, but hearing those words could make me have a full-on breakdown.

"My dad just moved into this new condo," I say abruptly changing the subject. "He designed this building himself."

"That's impressive."

"The man owns a majority of the buildings we are about to see."

As we drive through the crowded streets, Loni peers out the window, pointing at every building we pass, asking if my father had anything to do with it.

I nod with a simple "mhm" because my nerves are getting the best of me again. The GPS tells me we are two minutes away from our destination.

"Woah," Loni exclaims with awe as she tilts her head to look out the window at the tall building made completely out of glass. My father's building.

Guards stand outside the entrance to the parking compound. I give them my ID and they let us in. The spaces are occupied by expensive sports cars and luxury vehicles.

When I find a space, I throw the car into park, turn off the engine, and don't move a muscle. I can't do this.

"Hey," Loni places her hand over mine which is still gripping the wheel. "It's going to be okay." She offers a warm smile.