0.6

"you took forever," jaemin commented, raising his eyebrows as narae slid into the passenger seat of his red convertible

"you took forever," jaemin commented, raising his eyebrows as narae slid into the passenger seat of his red convertible. he adjusted the radio, turning it down so he could hear whatever she had to say. he looked over to her, noticing the shift in energy from just a few minutes ago when they last saw eachother until now. "you okay?"

"i...just hurry up and drive.."

jaemin reluctantly took the car out of park after seeing she wasn't going to say a word about what just happened. once again, she was stuck thinking about the brunette. that offer seemed tempting if she had understood properly what he was insinuating, but to sell out her best friend for her own love life? it was wrong, but just a small part of her wanted haechan to be some suspicious business guy, handing over his card so she could call him anytime for questions before she sold her soul to some crazy pyramid scheme. but the reality of it was that haechan was just a highschool boy looking to most likely sleep with her best friend, forcing his own on narae in the process. nothing about that seemed right. he wasn't some random guy she met on the street, she knew him and his intentions. he was a player- they don't change.

"narae?" 

"hm?"

"do you want to stop and get icecream before we go? you seem down... i don't like it,"

"sure..." she mumbled, not fully taking in what he said. she placed her hand gently on the window, looking at the world as they sped by. it was all tall buildings, busy sidewalks. this wasn't what she grew up with, this wasn't who she was. maybe for once she could let loose and quit pretending she was perfect and that she didn't care about love. the boy right next to her could've been her partner for a year now if she hadn't turned him down. if she hadn't turned anyone down, she'd be so much happier. but atleast at the end of the day she had influence, and in her opinion, that was much better than getting your heart broken.

"narae, seriously what is wrong?" 

"nothing- oh you got it already? give me some!"

"no," jaemin pulled the cone out of her reach, one hand still on the wheel. eyebrows furrowing in confusion and frustration, he shot a quick glance her way. "i went through a whole drive thru and you didn't even notice a thing! hell, there was even a hot girl working there and you didn't see! what happened in there? did you find something? you know you could tell me anything-"

"god, quit your nagging," narae jokingly brought her hands up to cover her ears, laughing when he rolled his eyes. "i'm fine. nothing happened. i'm just thinking, that's all! believe me, you know i'd tell you if something was up. now hurry up, i want to go win."

jaemin didn't continue talking after that. she was stubborn, and she was lying. but to be fair, he's done that a number of times before and it'd be hypocritical to call her out. he looked back to the road and turned the radio up, the playlist consisting of only the songs that they both loved. with the wind whipping through narae's hair and her favorite song accompanying it, her worries about the situation were eased.

after a few more minutes of driving, they finally arrived at their usual basketball court. it was empty, excluding the empty waterbottles people had thrown off to the side, being to lazy to bring them to the trash. she could've sworn she saw jaemin grimace for just a moment as they passed by the litter to pull into the parking lot. similar to the court itself, it was also lacking in people.

"i guess we're early," he commented, finally giving up and handing the icecream to narae and the grabby hands she was making toward it. "i still want some, you know."

"i could care less!" she smiled, skipping over to the court and plopping down on an empty bench off to the side. her friend followed closely behind her, swiping off a piece of peeling paint before doing the same. 

narae giggled before taking a lick of her icecream, her eyebrows immediately furrowing at the taste. "why'd you order chocolate? you're disgusting!"

"if you were paying attention you would've stopped me, i saw the chance and took it, you can't blame a guy." he swiftly replied, making a reach for it. "don't be like that, give me a bite!"

the noirette shook her head and gave a mischievous grin, using two fingers to take a dollop of icecream and swipe it on his face. before he could fully register the cold feeling on his skin, jaemin let out a dramatic scream. "i'm gonna get you for that!"

"no you won't!" she yelled back, standing up and making a run for it. she was all the way on the other side of the parking lot when she heard another voice join in on the yelling.

"NARAE?"

"CHENLE?"

"jisung is here to, i guess." the tall boy moodily grumbled, taking only a few steps to reach the girl. "why are you running from him?"

"i got icecream on his cheeks.."

"you make that sound like it was an accident!" jaemin caught up to her and grabbed her by the waist to prevent her from running away again. feeling his breath on her neck, she let out a laugh and murmured, "uh oh, you caught me."

chenle and jisung stood there awkwardly before the elder decided to speak up.

"how cute."

"it won't be so cute when i smack you, lele." narae forced her way out of her friends grip, fixing her tussled hair. she noticed their car missing in the parking lot, wondering where the boy she wanted to see most went. "when is mark coming?"

ignoring the suggestive eyebrows and sly grin from jaemin, the girl kept her focus on the loud boy infront of her. "he's out picking donghyuck up. renjun left him at the school for some reason."

the name didn't sound familiar to narae, but she was sure it'd be fine. if mark liked this donghyuck guy, she trusted him, and she could trust renjun's judgement to. hopefully he wasn't good at basketball, though. the goal of winning against her friends still stood.