Chapter Twelve - Winter Break

My dad didn't let me drive the car to school so I started to walk. That's when I heard a car honk behind me, I turned around to see Ella. I started smiling as she stopped and I opened her car door.

"Hey newly licensed driver." I said as I got in and Ella laughed.

"You know I just hate to drive." Ella said as I closed the door and we headed towards school. "Have you talked to Axel recently?"

"No, well, that's a lie. He walked me home yesterday but he said we can't be around each other or talk to each other anymore. He called things off." I said as Ella gasped.

"You were going after Axel?! You never mentioned this!" Ella said as I realized my mistake and sighed. The car stopped outside of Jakes house as he got in. 

"Jake you will never believe what Bri just told me." Ella said as I closed my eyes, knowing that Jake already knew.

"About her and Axel? I already knew that they were talking." Jake said. Ella slowly turned her head to look at me as I smiled back at her.

"Look Ella, I swear I was gonna tell you. But when you came into the room, Axel did too. It's all over now anyway so it doesn't matter." I said as Ella clicked her tongue.

"That's where you're wrong. It's not over yet." Ella said as I rolled my eyes and we pulled into the schools parking lot.

-

We made it to first period and there was Axel sitting in his normal seat. I sighed as I took my seat across from him and took out my notebook. Annabelle walked in as soon as the bell rang and she sat down in her normal seat too. I felt stuck. Trapped even.

"What are you doing for winter break Bri?" Jake said as he seemed to notice the tension.

"I honestly don't know. I don't think my dad and I will be celebrating Christmas since my mom moved out. The tree isn't even up." I said as I saw Axel look up at me from the corner of my eye.

Jake squeezed my hand as I shrugged my shoulders.

"I'll probably just be working, all day and all night. Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years." I said as Ella got a smirk on her face.

"Not if you're partying." I looked at her and shook my head.

"Not this again Ella." I said as Jake suddenly perked up.

"Let's find a party to go to. Help get somethings off your mind."  I shook my head as I finally paid attention to the teacher. I think this is the first time that I tuned out my problems and actually listened to the teacher.

While I was paying attention, they seemed to find a party for tonight to go to. It was a way to kick off winter break and I instantly got butterflies in my stomach.

-

Jake picked Ella and I up for the party and when we got there I noticed the place was packed. The three of us walked inside and Jake went to go find us drinks. When he finally came back, they decided they wanted to start a game of never have I ever.

We all sat down in a circle in the living room. Ella and I sat on the floor next to each other while Jake sat on the couch next to us. Axel was at the party cause he was sitting across. Right next to Kyler, and wouldn't you know, they were laughing and having a great time.

Mark, the party thrower, started off the game of never have I ever, and man did he start strong.

"Never have I ever, made out with someone in this circle." When I say everyone put a finger down, everyone put a finger down. They kept moving in a circle until they got to Jake.

"Never have I ever, broken a girls heart in this circle." There were only five girls in the circle and only three guys put their fingers down. Kyler, Axel, and Ella's ex, Trent.

I stared at Axel as he stared right back at me. I looked at Ella as I realized it was her turn.

"Never have I ever," she took a sip of her drink, "fantasized about getting back with an ex." I looked over at Kyler and Trent and noticed that they both put their fingers down. It was now my turn and I was going to get to the bottom of Kyler acting weird in our relationship and always craving sex and affection. I was also almost done with my drink that was completely filled when I received it.

"Never have I ever cheated on someone in this room." I said as I glared at Kyler. He hesitantly put his finger down as he stared back at me. He seemed to skip everyone as he decided it was his turn next.

"Never have I ever stayed in a relationship that I just wasn't feeling." He said as I put my finger down and noticed that everyone else kinda just put their hands down. Interested to see how the game turned out.

"Never have I ever stood up a significant other." I said as Kyler put his finger down.

"Never have I ever pretended I was sick for attention." I didn't put my finger down as I stared at Kyler.

"What?!" I said as I glared at him.

"We all know you didn't actually have that eating disorder. You made it up." He said as Jake cleared his throat.

"Ok let's cut it out-"

"I mean, did you even go get help for it?" Kyler said as he talked over Jake.

"You know my parents wouldn't let me." I said as I kept blinking, trying to push back the tears.

"Do I know that?" He said as I stood up and grabbed my drink.

"You are an asshole Kyler." I said as I left the circle and walked into the kitchen. Ella was right behind me as she took my cup and poured me another drink. I guzzled it and slammed it down on the counter.

"I need to stop." I slurred as I thought again. "Before I get drunk."

"Honey you already are." Ella said as she grabbed my arm and dragged me to the outside patio where there was music playing.

We started dancing as Axel came outside with his drink. He seemed to be having a serious conversation with Jake.

"I fucking hate Kyler." I said as Ella put her arm around my shoulder.

"We both do. Just daaaanceeee." She said as I laughed. I started to dance when I felt someone tap my shoulder. I turned around to see Axel standing behind me.

"Go away I'm having fun." I said as I turned back around. This time he grabbed my arm and dragged me away from the dance floor. Over to the pool.

"We need to talk." Axel said as I turned around and saw Jake whispering to Ella.

"Jake put you up to this. We talked, we ended things. Good?" I said as he shook his head. I started to turn around but he grabbed my shoulder and turned me back around.

"I was in the wrong Briella. I want to prove your parents wrong." He said as he looked right into my eyes.

"What did Jake tell you." I said as Axel dropped his arms.

"That I'm a pathetic idiot for letting you go." He said as I shook my head. I turned around and walked away.

I'm not being caught up in this all over again. I need to move on. I'm running out of time to be who I want to be.