Chapter Six - Off Plan

"You worthless piece of shit." The voice screamed after me as I slammed the front door shut. I turned around and flipped off the front door as soon as my dad stepped outside. "Where the hell do you think you're going?"

"Jake's, I'll walk there just to get away from you." I screamed back as my dad laughed and slammed the door shut. Assuming I was going to walk back through the door at any moment.

I was walking down the sidewalk when I kicked something hard. When I looked down I saw my face on a beat up body.

I jolted awake as I breathed heavily. The nightmares were back. I was making no progress.

I dragged myself out of bed and into the shower, the warm water was hitting my skin as I was thinking about what I could say to Axel. I already told him about my family, friends, therapy, and my mind.

He keeps telling me that I've made really good progress but I really don't believe him. How am I supposed to believe someone when I've been lied to all my life?

I finally got out of the shower and started getting ready when I heard a car horn honk. I grabbed my bag and looked out the window to see Jake sitting in his car.

I couldn't even process a reason on why he was here but I guess it was time to talk, and he would be the only rational one. So I opened the door and walked to his car.

"Hey." I said to him as I opened his car door.

"Hey." He said without looking at me. After a second of silence he spoke up again. "Figured you might like a ride."

"That would be nice." I responded as I got into the car and buckled up. As soon as he started driving I spoke up.

"I'm sorry."

"Briella, I should be the one saying sorry. I know how much crap you've gone through and how your brain plays tricks on you." He said. "So I'm sorry."

"I just feel like an awful friend. My attitude about life just changed." I told him as he nodded his head and started to slow down. I looked across to see Ella's house.

"You should've known that we planned this." Jake said as Ella got in the car.

"Happy Birthday Briella!" She said as I looked back at her and smiled. "And I'm sorry for being an absolute bitch."

"Thank you Ella. I'm sorry too."  I said as I turned back around and Jake started driving again.

"Next stop, Annabelles."

We got to Annabelles and she had the same reaction as Ella.

"Briella, you're like an old woman being 18 and all." Annabelle said as we pulled into the school parking lot.

"Oh really? An old woman?" I said back with a laugh.

"An old woman who's got eyes for Axel." Ella chimes in as I turned and looked at her.

"I do not." I said quickly. "Y'all just tossed me to the ocean to swim with sharks."

"Bri we aren't blind. We see how y'all act." Jake said as he nudged me "you like him."

"No I don't. He's barely even a friend." I said back as I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah ok. Maybe barely a friend with benefits." Ella said from the back as I turned around and gasped.

"Ella!" I said as I smacked her knee causing everyone to laugh.

"Oh come on you haven't even had-" Ella started to say before I cut her off.

"Ella! I said no. That's that. Moving on." I turned back around as I looked at the time. "Better yet let's get to class."

I got my stuff out of the car quickly as we walked into the building and into our first class. Axel and I made eye contact as soon as I walked in and I saw him shake his head and look at his paper.

We made our way over to our usual table with Axel and sat down.

"Hey Axel!" I said as he just looked up at me from the top of his eyes, keeping his head down.

"Hey."

"Come on why are you so gloomy." I said back as he looked over at Jake, Annabelle and Ella.

"Looks like everything worked out for you. My jobs done." He said as he went back to his notebook.

"Axel." I said as I tried to get his attention. "You're joking right?"

He picked up his head and shook it before looking back at his paper.

"That's fucking ridiculous." I muttered under my breath right before the teacher came in and started teaching.

How does it just happen that I gain my friends back but then I lose another? That only happens to me I swear.

When the teacher finished his lesson, Ella turned and looked at me and I saw Axel look up from the top of his eyes while keeping his head down again.

"So party tonight? After all it is your big 18." She said as I saw Axel slowly pick his head up.

"I don't know, parents are home and parties just aren't my thing." I lied.

"Girl come on. It's your 18th birthday. We can have it at my house cause my parents are in Vegas for the week." She said as she suddenly got excited and shot a look over towards Axel. "We can invite that cute dude that you were talking about."

"Ella I never-" then it clicked in my head. "No. Absolutely not Ella."

Ella got the biggest smile on her face as I knew what was coming next.

"My house has a hot tub Bri, and like 5 bedrooms. It's gonna be your night. And I know you can't refuse alcohol. So tonight is your night." I felt a smile start to creep up to my face as I sighed.

"Fine it'll get me out of the house. But I will not be utilizing the bedrooms. Thanks though."