Chapter 53

"Oh god I'm so sorry Matt." Sophie said, handing back a screaming Charlotte. "I guess she can smell me or something."
I looked at Charlottes tiny face, it was red, and she was screaming.
"She needs her mother." I said flatly.
"Of course she does." Sophie said softly.
Charlotte continued screaming and it was getting worse.
"Just go." I told Sophie.
She looked offended and hurt but I didn't give a fuck. How could she go home to her perfect little family and my family was here, dealing with this.
"Matt, please...."
"GO."
She kissed Ana's cheek then threw a look at me.
"I'm sorry Matt."
I was sick of hearing it.
"Yes, apparently everyone is, now go."
Once she'd shut the door I sat down and began the task of settling Charlotte. My poor daughter who only wanted her mother, I wanted her mother.
Finally she cried herself to sleep, her little body hitching. I kissed her head and looked at Ana. She didn't look right, she was all puffy looking and the nurses had been in here an hour ago, poking her, whispering and I didn't like it, so when the doctor came in, I wasn't surprised.
"Matthew." He started. "Are the rest of your family here?"
Oh god.
I shook my head. "They're having a rest."
He nodded. "How is Charlotte?"
"She wants her mother."
"Of course she does." He said. "Matthew we have a small problem with Ana."
"Small problem?" What did he consider a small problem?
"Her kidneys are failing."
Oh god.
"We have options Matthew."
"Options?" I asked.
"We're going to wait and see if they start working again by themselves, if not we'll put her on dialysis." He told me.
I looked at Ana. "When will she wake up?"
He shook his head, it seemed no one had the answer to that question.
I stood up and walked out of the room. I needed fresh air. I needed to think.
I stopped at the nursery and got a bottle ready for Charlotte, she was due a feed and I knew she'd wake up at any moment.
I went outside, found a bench and sat on it, Charlotte started fussing and I looked down at her. Every time I looked at her I was always shocked at how much she resembled Ana.
"Everything will be okay baby." I whispered to her as I gave her the bottle.
She drank, looking up at me.
What was I doing? I should be up with Ana. Both of my girls needed me more than anything.
I went back inside, back to Ana's room, laying Charlotte next to her mother.
She finished her bottle and fell asleep, beside her mom.
I sat there, watching them, holding Ana's hand.
Everything would be okay.
Wouldn't it?