04

Fight

»»————- .⋅ ✯ ⋅. ————-««

The next day, Ben is walking through Hawkins. He walks by the movie theater and notices graffiti. It reads "Starring Nancy the Slut Wheeler". He knows who did it. He hears yelling in an alley. He runs to the noise. He sees Jonathan, Nancy, Steve, Tommy, and Carol. He walks to stand beside Jonathan and Nancy. Steve is talking to Jonathan. Ben pushes Steve.

"Fuck off, Steve," Ben says. 

Steve laughs. "What are you going to do?" Ben punches Steve. They start fighting. Jonathan pulls them apart. "Go ahead and be a pussy," Steve says as Jonathan makes Ben start walking away. "You're just a screw-up like your father. Yeah, your house is full of screw-ups." Jonathan stops. Ben and Nancy stop too. "You know, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised. A bunch of screw-ups in your family." 

Nancy walks toward Jonathan. "Jonathan, leave it." 

"I mean, your mom...I'm not even surprised what happened to your brother."

"Steve, shut up." 

Ben is pissed now. He turns to face Steve. "Shut your mouth before I shut it for you." 

Steve starts pushing Jonathan a bit. "I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell him, but the Byers, their family, it's a disgrace to the entire-" 

Jonathan turns and punches Steve. They both start fighting. Nancy is yelling for them to stop, and Tommy is yelling for Steve to kick Jonathan's ass. Ben walks toward Tommy. "If you don't shut your goddamn mouth, you'll have to deal with me. Got that?" Tommy looks scared as he nods and backs up a bit. A cop car suddenly turns into the alley. Tommy starts trying to get Jonathan off of Steve. Officer Callahan goes to grab Jonathan. Jonathan accidentally punches him. Officer Powell gets Jonathan off Steve. Steve and Tommy run. Officer Callahan starts going after them. Officer Powell puts handcuffs on Jonathan. Officer Powell yells after Callahan, "I got this on." Nancy is freaking out. I'm trying to calm her. 

Officer Powell puts Jonathan in the back of the car. Officer Callahan comes back. Both of the cops start talking. Officer Powell walks toward us. "We're gonna need you both to come to the station with us. You can go get your car, but Officer Callahan will escort you to the car and write down your license plate." 

"Okay," Ben says. Ben, Nancy, and Officer Callahan go to Jonathan's car. Nancy has the keys so she gets in the driver's seat. Officer Callahan writes down the license plate and goes back to the cop car. We follow the car to the station

. ⋅ ˚̣- : ✧ : – ⭒ ⊹ ⭒ – : ✧ : -˚̣⋅ .

Nancy gets ice for Jonathan. Ben is just sitting off to the side, watching their interactions. They clearly like each other. Ben just smiles while he listens to them talk. Soon, Joyce and Hopper show up. Joyce walks toward Jonathan. "Hey. Jonathan? Jesus, what...what happened?" 

"Ma'am," Officer Callahan says while standing up. 

"I'm fine," Jonathan says.