CHAPTER 4: Little Devil

PETE

"I can't watch this."

"This is weird."

"Get that poor soul away from him."

"The hell's going on."

"I still don't find that small creature cute. He looks terrifying– Ow!" 

15 minutes ago.

A nurse accompanied Nop and I to bring the baby to Vegas' room. When we entered, we were welcomed by Macau and Vegas fighting?

I hope it's nothing serious.

"I told you to sleep!" Macau shouted.

"Like I said, I tried but I just can't! Why do you want me to sleep so bad? Weren't you all afraid that I may not wake up?"

"But nobody told us that this will happen! I hate seeing Phi be hurt over this! If I knew this is how it will turn out then, you should've just sleep forever!"

"Macau!" I exclaimed.

I can't believe he said that. No matter how much he dislikes what's happening, saying things like that is borderline offensive – it couldn't even pass as a joke.

"Take back what you said." With authority in my voice, I commanded.

Macau looks at me, terrified. It seems like he's going to burst into tears any second. The sight made me lose my anger. I breathed out a sigh before hugging Macau.

"Did you mean what you said?"

Macau shakes his head. "No, I don't. I'm sorry, Phi Pete."

"You don't owe me an apology, Macau." I patted his back before releasing him from my embrace.

Macau then panned his view to Vegas who's just staring at us. The latter scoffed before raising his arms, he gestures the younger to hug him by which Macau complied.

"I'm sorry, Hia. I didn't mean it like that. I was just carried away."

"Mhm. Apology accepted. No big deal." Vegas draw circles in Macau's back. His eyes landed on me and he chuckled.

I was startled for a second.

"Are you his mom or something? I've never seen this kid be obedient except if it comes to me." Vegas stared in amusement then ruffled his younger brother's hair.

Someone coughed which reminded me that there are other people in this rooms besides us.

Right, the baby!

I immediately went to the nurse and gently held the baby. But before I walked to Vegas and Macau, I ordered Nop to call the others.

"Vegas, don't be surprised okay? I don't know if Macau told you already but you have a stepmom."

"Uh, yeah, Mac told me."

"Well, she was pregnant and unfortunately, she died seconds after the baby was born."

I expected Macau to react even show a little bit of empathy but it were nonexistent. Vegas on the other hand, had furrowed brows like he's sad for her even though he doesn't remember.

"Is that the baby?" Vegas pointed at the small figure in my arms.

"Yes, it's a boy."