21. Not alone.

TW: self degrading and some bad thoughts.

Mal's eyes popped open, as she fell back screaming.

"No!" She cried, letting the tears fall down her face.

Max grabbed onto her, holding Mal as they sat on the floor. "It's okay, it's okay. I'm here, you're okay."

"No. No, he-" Mal couldn't say anything. She could just cry. So that's what she did, she sat there, sobbing in max's arms.

Max held the girl close to her chest, trying to calm her down. Max caressed Mal's long hair. Twisting it and twirling it, trying to give Mal some comfort.

It helped Mal calm down a bit, but she still couldn't stop crying. It all scared her so much- everything she saw scared her. Not to mention, she saw the clock.

Does that mean she's gonna die?

Is Mal cursed?

                               •••

Nancy had gotten out of her trance about ten minutes before Mal did, and had been trying to find music with the group.

So, when Mal woke up, Nancy was already out of the gate.

So here the group was, sitting now in the Mayfield residence living room. Mal sat crossed crossed on max's lap on the couch, with Steve sitting beside them, and everyone else standing around the room.

Mal couldn't think straight. She sat staring ahead into nothing. She wanted to cry, she needed to cry.

"I'm going to the bathroom." She croaked out, her voice breaking as she tried to keep the tears in.

She walked quickly straight to the bathroom, not looking back once. She couldn't hold her emotions in.

As soon as she reached the bathroom, she broke down. She barely even got a chance to lock the door before she burst into tears.

Mal sat on the toilet seat, with her knees to her chest. She was so confused. So scared.

She didn't get anything. Mal knew something was coming for her, but she didn't know what. She never knew anything.

Because she was nothing. She wasn't good enough for anything.

Everyone else had their normal lives, or at least close to normal, while Mal had this. She and her friends went through hell and back, going through things one can't even explain.

And they all depended on Mal. She was the one with the powers that she doesn't know where they came from. I mean, they showed up out of nowhere. Where did they come from? Why her?

Nothing made sense. There would always be something lurking out there waiting for her.  But she didn't get why.

Her life was normal. She was just a kid. Mal was just a kid playing board games with her friends and her brother. She would stay up late pst her bedtime with Mike making up stories and talking about their future. But now they talk about all the troubles they have. They talk about the horrible things that have happened, and how they could happen again.

Mal never got a break. She was never going to be free. Three years, three years of fighting monsters and dying, three years worth of trauma, three years worth of her childhood.

Yet it never stopped. And it was always her. The monsters seemed to always want something to do with her. Even if she didn't do anything wrong, it would be her.

Because she wasn't good enough. She never was, never will be. That's how it's always been, and how it always will be.

The monsters coming for her friends, family. Her lover. The people she loved, haunted by monsters. They never got a break. Never.