Heroes & Vigilantes

In a world where almost everybody has developed some kind of superpower, Heroes reign supreme. Who wouldn't want to be a superhero? It all began several generations back when a baby was born with the ability to glow. These superpowers, dubbed 'quirks' only continued from there. If you're born with one, it would manifest by the time you reached four years old. Today, about 80% of the population of Earth has some kind of quirk. Nobody has any idea just how these abilities started popping up. And truth be told, there exist plenty of people that possess power that was not the result of a quirk.

In America, The Flash defends Central City, known as their so called "Scarlet Speedster." He can move and fight at unimaginable speeds while also generating immense electrical energy in the process. Though the public is unaware of how he obtained such great power, he himself confirmed that he was not born with it. In other words, he got his superpowers from some outside force. Then there are beings like Superman. Superman was an alien from the planet Krypton. On top of being invincible, he possessed many other abilities that he was simply born with due to the effect of the Earth's yellow sun on his biology. He was overpowered even after the discovery of quirks.

Those born quirkless are pretty much looked down upon by the rest of society. They are seen as inferior, even in comparison to people with lame or useless quirks. Regardless of whether they were quirkless or not, everyone grew up idolizing the world's number one hero, Superman. And after he quit - supposedly to raise a family - the world went to Hell. He was fast enough to be wherever he was needed and strong enough to beat nearly anyone. To loose that, was like loosing a guardian angel.

With Superman gone, the Symbol of Hope was gone. Crime rates went up drastically. And that's when he appeared. The Smiling Hero, All Might! In a matter of an hour, he single-handedly saved a thousand people when a huge disaster struck. He quickly became the Symbol of Peace. His immaculate power and presentation made him the ultimate threat to Villains, as well as hopelessly popular among the public. Crime rates went down in Japan even faster than they had risen.

Among the many born quirkless was Izuku Midoriya. He was a typical nerd; greatly lacking in self confidence and physical prowess. But what he had more than anything, was heart. He had been told by everyone - since he was four years old - that he could never become a hero. This was the universal truth of society. Someone without a quirk, could never be a Pro Hero. Even then, Midoriya didn't stop, though. He worked hard and aimed to try out for U.A High, the single greatest Hero school in the world.

Many years of Midoriya's childhood were spent waiting for a quirk to manifest from his parents. His father could breathe fire, and his mother had limited telekinesis. As such, Midoriya spent uncountable hours trying to breathe fire, and move objects with his mind. Truth be told, he had even once attempted to obtain eletrical powers by flying a kite in a thunderstorm. Ultimately, all it did was signal to his mother and neighbors that he was crazy and desperate for a quirk. 

Midoriya was walking home from school. Day was beginning to turn to night. He was so in his head with sadness that he didn't realize he was walking in the wrong direction from his home. One could say it had been a very eventful day for him. Midoriya's typical trip home had been plagued by several odd occurrences. In the past few hours, he had been attacked by a Sludge Villain, met All Might and even asked him the question that had plagued him for his entire life. 'Can someone become a hero even though they are quirkless?' he thought. Midoriya felt tears slowly run down his face.

"I always knew the answer anyways...But...But, I wanted to believe that if I worked hard, harder than everyone else, that that would be enough..." he said, in between sobs. The sound of a nearby explosion and a crowd gathered nearby broke Midoriya from his self-loathing. 'Did I walk to the scene of the incident unconsciously, out of habit?' he thought. Despite his depression, he was here, so he decided to check out the situation. Midoriya was shocked to see the same Sludge Villain from earlier. Despite the fact that he had last seen it imprisoned within soda bottles after an easy defeat by All Might. 'The Sludge Villain?! How did it escape All Might?! Did he drop it?!' Midoriya's thoughts raced. In the darkness of night, the Sludge Villain stood out as it was surrounded by bright flames. Upon looking closely, Midoriya noticed the cause of the fire. It was his childhood friend, Katsuki Bakugo! The Sludge Villain had captured him much like it previously had Midoriya, himself. And he was taking advantage of Bakugo's Explosion Quirk. Looking around, it was obvious that none of the many heroes on the scene could do anything.