Chapter Five

October 1917

After being in Germany, John and the rest of the men traveled to France. It had been a long journey, a long journey finally going into combat, after battling Germany for so long, and now John and the rest of the men were going to France. The men that went with him, were Jamie, Wesley, Simon, and Benedict, while Violet, Mabel, and Ciera were joining them on this journey. As the bus took all of them to France, Wesley looked at John and he wondered how long they were going to be in this war.

 And hoping it wasn't going to last forever. Wesley looked over at John again and saw that he was staring at Violet.  They both saw Violet talking to Ciera and Mabel, and Jamie was sitting by himself along with Benedict. John could tell that Jamie was feeling guilty for the incident with Benedict, but he didn't tell anyone. Benedict was lucky to survive that accident or not have his leg amputated. Jamie still didn't understand how that was possible Jamie still didn't understand how that was possible how he survived the way he did with how brutal the bullet was in his leg. 

 With America getting themselves into the war, it was something that nobody thought would have happened, because they were always remaining neutral. And not expecting things to get the way they were. Let alone almost dying in Germany, and possibly almost dying in France, John was nervous to think about the possible future. But he tried not to think too much about it, but he started to feel a little more discouraged by the moment.

"What are you thinking?" Wesley asked John, Wes then noticed that John wasn't listening, and looked in the same direction that John was looking at to see what he was looking at. Wesley noticed that John was looking at only one thing and one thing only. And it was clear to see as they were on that bus. 

"Not this again..." Wesley sighed, "Forget it..."

"She's been helping towards me, I'm glad she's here." John said, Wesley looked over at Violet and asked John if he ever talked to her, and he said he did. John then told him to not ask questions he knew answered to, and Wesley just mentioned that he forgot because there was so much going on with the war.  John sighed and turned away, but then there was a sound, a brutal sound of gunshots. Jamie looked over and ducked under and pulled Mabel and Ciera down, John heard Violet let out a scream, and he and Wes ran over to try and help her and ducked her down so she didn't get shot. John was praying that there was not a German on sight...Violet started to panic but she didn't want to show John. But he knew that she was scared as they were on the verge of dying.

But then heard more gunshots going through the windows, Jamie protected Ciera and worked as her human shield. Mabel tried to cover herself as Jamie for a shield, but she found it difficult as he was looking after Ciera. 

But Wesley called for Mabel so he can look after her. But Benedict decided to fight them on his own. He called for Wesley, John, and Jamie to help him out Wesley immediately rushed to his aid, and as Benedict took his gun out, he started shooting bullets immediately without panic and fear, Wesley jumped in to fight back minutes later, followed by Jamie, who was able to kill more men than Benedict and Wesley combined.  And then there was also Simon, who was in panic but he didn't want to show his panic. And rushed quickly to fight back without showing that fear. John however was still a little hesitant about jumping into the massacre and fighting back, he didn't know if he left and something bad would happen, then he didn't know if he would turn around and Violet would be dead, he didn't know why he cared about a girl who he didn't know cared about him.

"Go..." Violet called out to John, "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"John, I don't need protection."