Chapter Twenty

A few days later, John found himself in a hospital bed after being asleep for a long time, as he slowly started to wake up, he looked over at the rest of his surroundings, not knowing what was happening. He noticed that one man had a missing leg, and another wounded on his face and fully disfigured. John then looked over and checked the rest of his body to see if he was missing any body parts, and he didn't know how he didn't lose a leg. But then he saw how his right leg was wounded. John wondered if he was going to still have a leg, but remembered that the wound wasn't serious enough for amputation.  When the doctor walked over to John, he looked over at him and was relieved to see that he was awake.

"Where am I?" John asked the doctor,

"You are safe. Don't worry. You almost died out there, we didn't know if you were going to make it." The doctor said, "You're lucky to be alive." 

"How did I make it alive?" John asked,

"I don't know..." The doctor said, "But you won't be able to walk for quite some time, so I would recommend laying down for just a bit." 

John followed the doctors' orders and laid down for a little bit, to get the rest that he needed.  John laid down and started to think about everything, there was so much on his mind, he wondered if he was going to see Violet, and he wondered if this would affect his fertility. He wondered if it would overall affect his future and everything that he was going to have with Violet. He looked around through the rest of the hospital and started to look at some of the men that were in crutches.

It started to hit him.

It started to hit him how people will never be the same again after fighting in a war. And John Kelly himself was no exception, he didn't know how his whole family made it through fighting this much. And he wanted to know why they wanted to risk their lives all the time to make a name for themselves. He didn't know how every man in his family coped with their shell shock, and the trauma that they suffered, but he understood now what Violet was saying in regards to the effects of Psychological health. It was going to affect him in the long run and he didn't think much of it then. But he understood it now.

"We're going to send you on leave temporarily, so you can recover quickly," The doctor informed John, those words sank to his stomach, not knowing where his friends were and he didn't know what their fates were. He started to think about how quickly they could have died and he could not have known it. He watched as the doctor walked off. John sighed and laid back down, and looked over at his jacket that was on the chair of his hospital bed. And started to look as his dog tag was laying there as well.  And he wondered where fate was going to take him next because he had no idea.

Meanwhile, another doctor came in and walked over to John. John anticipated himself wondering what the doctor was going to tell him, he didn't know if it was going to be good or bad news. He needed to know immediately. He needed to know if his friends were alive or dead.  Also with him was another General, whose name he couldn't remember, but he remembered that he looked insanely familiar to him.

"We have news on Jamie Hamilton." The General said, "He is alive as well. And safe and made it out alive..."

"What about the rest of them?" John asked,

"We don't know..." The General said, "And there is also someone here to see you as well." 

John was getting nervous as he heard that someone was here for him, he didn't know who it was and what they could possibly want. It could either have been a good or a bad thing. He didn't know. 

"Can we send her in?" The General asked,

"Her..."

"Yes." 

John nodded and told the General that is more than okay to let her in, especially because he immediately knew who it was, and wasn't scared of the consequences.  Because he knew that it was Violet.

As the General came in, John saw Violet from right behind him, and John almost burst with tears of joy seeing her face, it almost felt as if was a cry of joy and relief all rolled into one. And when Violet saw him too, she tried her best not to cry as well. She was more than happy to know that he was alright. She ran to him immediately and kissed him trying to hold back the rest of her tears, and she was happy that he was safe. And of course, she didn't doubt it for one moment.

"Good to see you, Violet." John said tearing up, "You look more beautiful than ever."

"Stop trying to charm me." Violet said as she was looking away so she can try to hide the tears away,

"It's okay to show you're emotions." John said, "I won't judge you." 

Violet sighed and looked at John for a second. Moments after looking at him in silence, she then leaned over to him and kissed his forehead. She could not imagine a life without him. And he couldn't imagine a life without her. 

"I guess I'm just lucky," John said awkwardly looking at Violet,

"But you're alright, and that's all that matters to me." 

"I am not going back into battle..." John drawled looking at Violet who walked over and cupped his face, she looked at him almost with relief, but also had a bit of pity towards him. 

"Well..." Violet started, "Well, that means that I and you will finally have the chance to be together won't it, but I will take care of you and do whatever you need to get you back on your feet."

"Really?" John asked her, "You would do all of this for me."

"Well, you are my future husband." Violet smiled, "Do you want to still get married?"

"Hell..." John said, "of course I do. More than anything in the world... I've been thinking about names for my sons in the future." 

"Are you really?" Violet asked him laughing, and then looking around as the doctor and general were still there and laughing at him. She just thought he was being too funny, and never thought of it as him rushing into things. But John just wanted to be with her forever.

"Alright..." Violet said, "What do you want to name them?"

"Well..." John started, "For starters... I want to name one of them Gavin...I have just always liked that name..." 

"I like it too..." Violet said, "Because pretty soon there might be a boy..." 

"What are you saying?" He asked, "Are you..." 

Violet nodded. And she just wanted to say what was on her mind, but she wanted John to figure it out on her own. But Violet wanted to tell him, she wanted to tell him so badly, but she then heard the doctor tell him.  

"She's pregnant." The Doctor said, "She just found out as well..." 

"Are you really?" John said excited realizing that he couldn't get out of his bed, Violet nodded and smiled and walked over to kissed him on the lips passionately. 

"I want you to know that little Gavin Kelly, is coming." Violet said

"Are you happy with the name Gavin?" He asked, "I want to know if you're happy with it first."

"Of course I am." Violet started to say, "Don't worry about me..." 

John was still trying to process everything. There was always a light out of every tunnel, and Violet's news was a big tunnel. He was finally going to be a father, and he was going to have a life that he wanted for as long as he could remember. And he didn't care what happened, but he knew he was going to have to get some help for the safety of his children, and for the safety of his wife. He didn't want them to suffer becasue of his trauma. And he was going to do anything to make sure that he recovered quickly.