Chapter Eight

John wanted to get support from the rest of his friends in regards to everything that he needed, with Wesley finally recovered and so was Jamie after getting shot in the shoulder. And Jamie was going back to spending time with Ciera. Which made him wonder why he was with Ciera, a married woman, which John and Wesley were talking about a lot. Wondering what Ciera's husband was like, and if he was fighting in the war, they both wondered how her husband would react if he found out. Because Jamie was someone who didn't care about anyone but himself and didn't really know what it was like to love another human being. How about if one day, Jamie meets Ciera's husband, and finds out that they were having an affair, her husband would probably kill him the moment he had the chance. Knowing that Jamie wasn't destructible easily, John and Wesly knew that he wouldn't get killed immediately.

"I just don't understand Jamie," Wesley said, "He just does what he wants and he never really appears to care about the consequences."

"That's Jamie for you," John responded,

"He could have picked someone else." Wesley added, "Mabel perhaps."

"I know."

"What about you?" Wesley asked,

"What about me?" John asked

"You and Violet."

"What about me and Violet." 

Wesley looked at him and noticed that he was acting clueless, and Wesley knew that John had a crush on Violet and was in too much denial to admit it.   

Wesley was a slow learner and so was John, but they both were able to learn, especially when a girl was starting to get interested in either one of them.

"She and I have become good friends," John said, "And we had a few deep conversations. She cares about people. Deeply, she may be serious in her work but she has a great heart."

Wesley knew that he was right, and he also wanted his friend to be happy. He sensed it from the beginning, he sensed that his friend was immediately infatuated with Violet, that moment that he woke up in her tent while she was treating him to his wounds. John wouldn't stop trying to talk to her, and once they got to France, they developed a better friendship. John didn't even know how it happened. They started to talk about their lives and one of the reasons why they enlisted in the first place, wondering why they enlisted, and Violet had a purpose. A purpose from the beginning. A purpose to help others, and John had a purpose to be a hero and follow in his father's footsteps.

John didn't remember the last time he told someone so much about his life, he hasn't even said anything to his friends about his family and why he enlisted. He told everyone that he always had a passion for flying and fighting. But in reality, there was more to that. There was so much more to it.

Violet was the only one who knew the real reason for his enlisting. But she understood. She understood well more than John thought she would.

Which was something that made him relieved that someone cared about what he had to say. She cared about his well-being as well and cared for him to make it out of the war alive. He didn't realize how close he got gotten with Violet until he got to France, and it was also noticed by Wesley and Simon. The two that he spent time with the most. And when they first got to France, Wesley and Simon irritated him about it for trying to protect Violet on the bus. Of course, he was acting as if he cared about her because he did.

Violet was the first girl who listened to anything that he had to say, and he knew that she truly cared. He wanted it to last. He wanted his friendship with Violet to last, even if they were worlds away from each other. He wanted her in his life.

And he wanted her to know that. 

The same night after talking to Simon and Wesley, he came to the tent to see Violet and talk to her, about everything. In regards to how they bonded, and how she helped him when he needed her during a time. He only just wanted to thank her for everything that she had done for her.

Once he had gotten into her tent, he saw as she was with Mabel cleaning up medical supplies. From the morphine to the rubbing alcohol and put everything in Mabel's bag. John waved to the both of them, Mabel waved back, and then stared at Violet. Violet turned around and looked over at Mabel, wondering what the face was for. And then when Mabel walked off, Violet didn't keep her eyes off her until she was out of the tent. Violet then looked over at John, and John chose to start the conversation.

"How are you?" John asked,

"A little drained out, but that's the way this job is." Violet answered honestly, "I just don't know when it's all going to end."

John didn't know why he said that. It wasn't Paris. They found themselves on the battlegrounds and the middle of nowhere, where tents were sitting around everywhere. 

"France...it's France..." Violet answered,

John didn't know why he was asking so many questions things were just the same. It was still a war, and nothing was changing as it was when they were in Germany.  It felt as if it were the same as it was, but only they were in a different location.

And it only was going to get more difficult everyday.

Both John and Violet didn't want to show each other their weakness, and didn't want to show each other that they were afraid, they were afraid of everything to crumble right in front of them.

Violet was working too hard.

And so was John.

Violet didn't think too much about everything, the only thing on her mind was the thought of John being there for her when she needed him. She was thinking about maybe that John was brought into her life during this time for a reason. Especially now. But she didn't know why, and what that reason was, but she was trying to figure that out.