Chapter Fourteen

November 4, 1917

For the next two days, Violet and John wanted to spend as much time together as they could. John felt as if Violet was the only thing that was helping him get where he needed. Violet may have been one of the tougher, and one of the ones with the fewer emotions, but John could tell that she had one of the best hearts. Perhaps it was her confiding in him all the time every time that she had lost a patient. Or when she was getting all distressed during the situation between Jamie and Ciera. When they both tried to convince Jamie and Ciera to do the right thing. They both knew that it was going to end badly, and they both were right. They both knew that it was going to end badly, and they both were right. Because Silas died because of the distress, and Ciera got ill moments later.

But Violet didn't want to think too much about what happened. She just wanted to think about the time she could spend with John before it was too late. She knew that he was going to stay by her side until the end, and her with him. Violet wanted to be with him when the war was over. She didn't know what was going to happen next, and she was thinking about all of the possibilities that he wasn't going to survive the war. But she wanted to be optimistic, but each day it was growing to be harder and harder to even do that. She just was trying to be realistic, with the possibilities of what could happen to her, to John, or to the rest of her friends. She saw what happened to Ciera, how quickly the illness killed her, and saw how everything affected Silas. She didn't want to see Shell Shock affect anyone, but realistically, she knew that nobody was ever going to be the same again after the war.

As she was sitting with John, she had a lot of thoughts on her mind, she wanted him to know that he was always going to be safe when she is around. And she wanted to protect him from all of the trauma that he was going to face in the long term. Because she knew he was going to face a lot. She cupped his face, and looked at him for at least a second, and he smiled looking at her.

"You know, I will do whatever I can to make sure you are happy after the war," Violet said, "If there is any way I can help you long term, I will do it."

"You really mean that?" John asked, "Like all honesty,"

"Absolutely." Violet said, "I will never lie to you."

John smiled and looked at her, he knew that she cared. Genuinely about people, her patients, the soldiers, she liked to keep a brave face most of the time, but around him, she was more vulnerable than ever before.  And John wanted her to be vulnerable because that showed him that she was a caring person. And that was one of the reasons he loved her so much, and he wanted her to know that. And Violet could tell he had something to say.

"Do you want to tell me something?" Violet asked and then chuckled awkwardly, "I know the look on your face."

"I love you..." John blurted out, "I loved you from the moment I woke up seeing your face in Germany when I woke up from the bombing. I love you then, and I love you even more now."

Violet took a second to process everything. John was letting all of his emotions out, she knew that he would be the type of man to fall in love too quickly, but she didn't know if she loved him the way he loved her. Of course, she could see herself loving him eventually. But she didn't know if it was too fast to say how she felt yet. She took his hand, and kissed softly, John took that as her saying she loved him back, with him knowing that she didn't have to say any words. Her actions were more important to him than her words.

"You don't have to say anything back or anything," John started to say realizing that he had given away too much, "I just wanted you to know, that I love you Violet."

Violet smiled, she looked into his eyes, and she didn't think he would open up to her this quickly the way he did. But she knew he meant it, she knew he meant every word. She didn't think she would ever meet anyone who was as honest as John was to her. And is was what she needed, she needed him more than she ever wanted to admit to herself. She did love him, she did love him the way he loved her, but she wasn't ready to say it. But she was relieved that John was willing to wait until she said anything because she just wanted to know for sure.