Chapter Nine

The next few weeks were showing John that he could train well. He was more focused than ever before and wanted to get his head straight. But also, he thought about how he got to where he was in the first place. Violet saved him. She was there when he was on the verge of death, and then he remembered all of those signs that he needed to figure out why she was in that dream that he had in Germany. 

And what all of it meant.

Then he figured it out. 

Violet was the reason for keeping him alive. He didn't know how he didn't realize it at first, but it just took a while for him to figure it out. He didn't know why he didn't realize it, but Violet was there to help him survive the bombings, and she helped him recover from the shell shock. 

It all started to make sense.

She was the one who saved him.

She was what he needed to stay alive.

He always told himself that there would be a purpose to keep him alive, his family, his friends, and getting the opportunity to fall in love. 

He wanted that life. 

He wanted that happy life when the war was over. 

And he knew that Violet could give him that, she wanted to have kids after the war. Just like him. She wanted to have a son. Just like him. And they both supported and cared for each other. John didn't remember the last time a girl even talked to him for that long, and John always felt as if Violet was out of his league. She was smart, vivacious, and always stood up for what she believed in.

Even if that ended up getting her in trouble, she always wanted things to be right for everyone else. Even for women. And if the men weren't getting the treatment that they needed, Violet was always going to say something. 

Because she wanted to be heard. John always admired her passion for women to have equal rights as men, he also admired her passion for her family and for keeping everyone safe. She cared about people more than she wanted to admit, he first was scared of her when he first met her and didn't admit that to anyone. He thought she was scary because of how committed she was to her work.

 But he saw a new side of her during their time in both Germany and France.

He saw a determined young woman who wanted to get out of this war alive, and someone who had compassion for others. She admitted that most people find her scary when they first meet her, but she mentioned to John that she is somewhat decent once people get to know her. 

John still adored her entirely, he thought she was different from anyone he had ever met. 

He wanted to be with her when the war was over, he wanted to be with her, as more than just a friend to him.  

He spent most of his nights thinking about the future he would have with her, he dreamed of having at least two sons with her. 

He imagined him teaching them to fight and defend themselves.

And maybe both of them would enlist in the Military as well, just like him, and just like John's father and it was something that went on for Generations. He couldn't wait to hear and see the Kelly family Legacy enlist in the Military. 

John walked into his tent, he was thinking all about Violet and how he was going to confess his feelings for her, he wondered if it was going to be too fast, he wondered if it was going to be bad timing, what if something bad had happened and Violet was emotionally drained, he didn't care. He wanted her to know how he felt. 

He opened his tent and he saw Jamie kissing Ciera, he immediately turned away uncomfortable, and almost screamed out of horror, almost like he had seen a ghost. John pointed to Jamie, then pointed to Ciera. Almost disgusted with both of them.