Chapter 20 - Two Lovers

Nawkey POV

These people make me so uncomfortable...I am only here because my Chieftain told me to come. Having a little bit of alone time is nice, unfortunately that means I have to go and find the odd one. He was always staring at me, in a way it was flattering but mostly it just made me anxious. Sure he was handsome in a gruff kind of way but there was something off about him. The way he stares into the distance like he is searching for something that no longer exists is unsettling to say the least. What was his name again, I thought as I tracked his footprints.

"Oh right, Lesngä'i... who names themselves that?" I muttered.

He insisted that it was his birth given name but I did not think so

He insisted that it was his birth given name but I did not think so. Suddenly the trail ended in front of a tall wall of stone, I felt at the wall and assessed that it was climbable. He must have gone up here, but why?

A roaring sound echoed throughout the caves above answering my question.

"Is he trying to die?" I yelled, I began to furiously climb not knowing what I would see at the top. Hopefully it would not be a corpse... as I came to about halfway up the mountain side I was blinded by a bright red light, it was a Toruk.! Perhaps from fright or shear shock, I lost my grip and began falling fast towards the ground, suddenly the creature dropped down and came at me with unfathomable speeds. Am I going to die? Was all I could think, the creature opened its mouth, its sharp teeth extended towards me. I closed my eyes tightly trying not to scream, to my surprise instead of swallowing me whole the Toruk grabbed me with its legs and sailed up towards the sky. It threw me into the air and flung me towards its back, I was caught and placed onto the back of the Toruk by two strong hands. Awestruck I looked behind to find Esnä smirking, trying not to laugh.

"Toruk Makto..." I whispered, though I doubted he could hear me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Awa'iti POV

"I am getting a little bit worried, I shuffled up and down the stream side while holding my tail nervously.

"I knew I should have gone with him, I am so much better at tracking!" Tsu'tey said boldly.

"Ehh I do not know about that." I chimed.

"What are you trying to say?"

"I am saying you are both equally good, but Nawkey has lived in these parts this entire life. It is not comparable." I shrugged my shoulders and tried for a smile. Without warning a large shadow loomed above me, I dared not look at its face. I just stared at Tsu'tey smiling stupidly as he raised his head in alarm. A gust of wind came from behind blowing me directly into him, we both fell into the mud and lay there in shock. I turned around to find a ginormous red and purple beast staring down at me.

"Oh gods," I murmured. "it is huge."

"Toruk... Makto..." Tsu'tey said with a tone of respect, on the back of the giant beast sat Esnä and Nawkey, who looked as surprised as us.