chapter 6: a strawberry lotus

"it's actually pretty easy to forget your loneliness when you're always around people who may surprise you. In fact, it's a pretty funny thought."

- Unknown

*Mark's POV*

I looked over at the conversation, well more like a scolding spree, happening not far away from where me and Jihyo were sitting. We saw how Manalii was still in shock and she didn't want anything to do with it while Sunghoon thankfully defended her.

I felt bad honestly, I should've kept a closer eye on Han or locked him up in my pocket instead of letting him loose like that. Lady Olivia scolded her a lot, and I saw how Jihyo couldn't handle it anymore as I heard Daisy giggling at how our youngest friend got in trouble. "Oh shut up Daisy, you're not the one in punishment. Are you? You two too!" I said, acknowledging her and the twins. A few minutes later, I saw how Lady Olivia's scolding got worse.

I couldn't make out what Manalii said but I know I heard an "I'm sorry" come out as tears came down her face. Han was squeaking in defense but also fear as we all saw Lady Wendy walking over to Lady Olivia, touching her shoulder. "Lady Olivia, if you don't mind stopping. Scolding her like this won't help. Plus, the other children are looking at you." She said, her voice sounded blunt but still gentle and loving as she then crouched down to Mini.

I wanted to go over and punch Lady Olivia so hard, but Jihyo held my fist that was clenching the table. I looked at her and she shook her head. "she's gonna be fine, look." She said, we both looked at the scene once more as we saw Sunghoon who was looking up at Lady Wendy, the woman holding Manalii close to her chest humming a lullaby.

Lady Olivia on the other hand, sighed before going back to helping the other kids. My fist slowly relaxed as I couldn't bare seeing Manalii's tears, I saw that Sunghoon couldn't either. I looked at Kio as I saw that she was just as frustrated. "Jeez, is she ever gonna give Mini a break?" She muttered, I felt bad for her as I sighed, seeing Lady Wendy take Manalii away from the scene.

~ an hour later ~

*A/N's POV*

As Lady Wendy carried Manalii to Kio's room, she dried her tears and got a good look at her. "Mini," she started, touching the girl's shoulder with a gentle hand, worried for her tears. She then softly patted her head. "I would tell you to ignore Lady Olivia's words, but even I know that they're harsh." She said, hearing the little girl sniff. "I don't even know why she got angry, you did what was right. Either way, I don't want you to feel bad." Lady Wendy ended.

Manalii sniffed and tried to dry her tears. "W-Why?" she stuttered.

Lady Wendy smiled, then playfully poked her nose. "Because there's always a rainbow above the storm clouds~!" She answered, she then grabbed a soft tissue and properly wiped the little one's tears. "And I swear, whatever happens to you, I'm going to be here. Okay?"

Manalii nodded, hugging the woman as she heard her chuckle as she heard tiny paws scurrying around. "And Manalii?" The little girl hummed. "About those boys you were speaking of."

The little one sniffed and looked up at Lady Wendy, a bit confused at who she meant. For sure, no tears were coming down on her cherry pink cheeks and nose anymore, but the sudden change of topic made her raise an eyebrow.

"Who?" She asked.

"The ones that fly, not like Markus or Sunghoon." Lady Wendy answered.

Manalii blushed as she looked around, thankfully no one was there. Just thinking about them made her curious, and she didn't know what to say. "I don' know." She answered, Lady Wendy petted her head.