chapter 16: the roles we play

"reality is always more cruel than our imagination. But we are stronger than the person we imagine ourselves to be."

- The8, Seventeen

The three could only stand there, little Manalii still shivering from the surprise encounter as Kio held her close. "How do we know if we can trust you?" She asked. The magician looked at her with a raised eyebrow and cheeky smile.

"Well, you introduced your names to me, correct? And since I'm not exactly a fae, then that should lessen the fear. But it's understandable since we don't know each other as well as me and the musicians do." Wonsang answered, he then hopped on top of his wooden desk with the large wall that Manalii had bumped into as Sunghoon couldn't take his thoughts away from the fact he was completely calm about the situation, even treating it as a comedy. "But, seriously, if you all are wanting to get home safely without having to wait a whole night, it's a suggestion."

Kio had a breath before a sigh came out before scratching behind her fluffy ears. "Uhhhh, well~" she began, and the magician had made his point as she had a glance outside of the window only to see patches of darkness outside. "And you're sure that this trick will work?" She asked, shielding Manalii and Sunghoon away from Wonsang.

However, Sunghoon already had his eye on something else, a book with a snowflake on its cover. "You've seen my performance on stage, little one. And while magicians can't reveal their secrets, we can't break a promise either." He said, swiftly lifting his legs into a kris cross position.

Promise, a word that was familiar to Kio as she had a hazy and blurry memory of one long forgotten years ago. One made by Lady Olivia's words and an old friend's soft pink eyes. "You're sure?"

"Positive, also, there's no reason for you to act like a white knight." Wonsang answered with a playful giggle as Kio blushed out of embarrassment, removing the forcefield that was made from her arms as she then went back to scratching her ear while putting the other on her hip.

Soon, she gave the names of those she called her family as Wonsang closely listened, though, her voice did slightly shake as she seemed to be a bit down all of the mess that happened. "Thank you, and don't be so scared. Nothing bad will happen to them. We'll find them." The magician stated, his smiling warming Kio's heart as Manalii put the basket down on a nearby shelf as she patted the rabbits' heads.

Wonsang glanced at the gentle scene before seeing the little girl's dried tears, thinking that she heard him. "One moment," he said, snapping his fingers as a pile of strawberries poofed into Manalii's hands as she softly gasped before hearing him giggle. She then looked back at him. "Don't worry, you're not a bad owner, or a bad friend. I can tell that they're happy to see you again."

He then went back to Kio, only to see her looking at him, a bit confused about the situation. "Alright, here we go." He said, right before closing his eyes as things around the room began to float once more as the smell of lavender kicked back in.

Soon, puffs of glittering purple and pink smoke engulfed the middle of the room as it soon behan to have a mind if it's own, circling around Kio as if it were a kite of some kind, but it's breath feeling soft and cold like sugary snow.

The little puff bounced around as Wonsang's hands followed it, with bubbles filled with voices following the puff's wispy tail as it was the voices of their peers who were lost to the blackout. Kio was amazed at the mysterious beauty, feeling as if she were floating as the puff soon floated outside of the shop. "What the heck was that?!"

"Just a little find-me spell, nothing too big."

"Find-me spell my ass, that was freaking amazing!" Kio yelled, a smile plastered on her face as she was ecstatic at the scene. Wonsang giggled, seeing the children enjoy his magic shop, fully knowing it's purpose was just for this moment. "Wait, what about the others?" Kio asked.