chapter 15: Märchen Mystery

"With each deed performed, for better or worse. A power is granted, a blessing or a curse."

- Sofia the first

As the little one's eyes slightly shook with an uncertain fear, she blinked and shook her head as the gang of orphans were huddled together while Sangyeon began to try and find a way out of the sudden mess that was the blackout. Manalii then tugged Sunghoon's shirt, right before noticing the slight worry in the man's eyes while his own flashlight beamed above her head.

She in response began to stutter, trying to grab her words together before whispering what she saw to Sunghoon's ear before pointing at Sangyeon. The boy then had a glance at the man just beyond him before nodding at Manalii. Though, as Sunghoon ran to tell the male caretaker about what his younger friend saw just moments ago from a seemingly small spark of a flashlight,  a boom sounded as colorful lights came from outside.

Manalii screamed while covering her ears as her eyes began to dart around like bouncing bullets before having a glance of the hole she saw before as colorful lights of the fireworks seemed to brighten the small way out. A white flashlight soon beamed as Mark dashed towards the hole.

"Quick question, how did you find this hole so fast Mini?" He asked, his younger peer couldn't answer as she shook.

"Marko, there's a time for questions and a time for action. So, I think it's better to ask later when we get back." said Sangyeon as he then quickly scooped up Manalii into his arms before having the children rush alongside him towards the hole as it seemed to be a shortcut of some kind. One by one, they began to crawl out of the sudden chaos as they soon entered into an alleyway that seemed a bit better than a slow-burn panic.

The jog slowed down into a walk as Sangyeon, along with other caretakers around the orphanage, would normally warn the children to be careful when walking on their own in alleyways as there have been strange things happening. "Everyone alright? No one's hurt?" The man asked as most in response nodded, though, others were out of breath.

"I'm fine, but jeez that was a long jog."  Donghyuck answered.

"That was a pretty short run, so I don't get what you mean." said Chaeyoung, panting from the run as her wobbling legs wanted to stop. The alleyway seemed mysterious to them, with the flickering lights on the stone walls hanging just above Sangyeon's head like dying stars and the fireworks popping colors in the distance, it almost felt like safety if not for the looming shadows that followed them.

It wouldn't be a shock to see that some were a bit frightened by the slightly cold wind and swaying tree branches as it's shadowy claws seemed to follow Kio with every step she took. It bothered her and Chaeyoung as both turned to check if there were really any monsters that they imagined were behind them.

There wasn't, but it didn't stop the slightly queasy feeling. "Sangyeon, are you sure you're going the right way?" Chaeyoung asked as Kio glanced at her worriedly through her raven bangs.

"Chae, we've gone back here before, we are." He reassured the girl.

"But, never at night, especially at this hour." She stated, looking up the full moon that had the cold wind play with her hair as she slightly shivered, being a bit shocked by the atmosphere as she then held on Donghyuck's hand.

Sangyeon had his flashlight guide the way home, and Chaeyoung was not wrong about the creepiness that easily scared the younger children. He kept the seven orphans close, but it did worry the man of who could be behind them. Mini kept close to Jihyo as she looked down at her pink mary janes for a while, her bangs covering her flushed face before looking up to see the flickering lights.