V: Rolled Up Sleeves

"Lisa? Lisa? Earth to Lisa?"

Jennie must have said Lisa's name three times before Lisa finally brought herself back into the room and blinked slowly over at her.

"Hm?"

Jennie's nose crinkled up into a perplexed laugh. "Gosh, Lisa. You were up in space for a minute there, is everything alright?"

"Oh, yeah, everything's...everything's fine. I'm just a bit tired, is all," Lisa mumbled and glanced over her shoulder. A few Beauxbatons students sat at the desk behind them, happily chatting away as they worked on their potion, but Lisa couldn't help feel the hairs prickling at the back of her neck. Ever since Hanbin had cornered her in the store room, Lisa had kept one eye on her back, unable to shake this feeling she was being watched.

Predictably, Jisoo had flown into a rage when Lisa told her about what had happened with Hanbin. She'd had to hold her older sister back in an effort to keep her from going after the eldest Kim with something presumably worse than the Jelly-Legs jinx.

"Maybe you should just stay away...is this all really worth it?" Jisoo had huffed once she'd calmed down to a gentle simmer, allowing for a little more conscious thought than her previously explosive state.

Lisa frowned deeply in response, but couldn't answer. She thought about her promise to Jennie—that she wasn't going anywhere. To Lisa, a promise was a serious vow, and the thought of even thinking about breaking it tore her up inside.

Lisa had read about Devil's Snare in Herbology. The magical plant used its creepers and tendrils to ensnare anyone that touched it, slowly but certainly constricting and strangling its victims. Lisa imagined this was what it would be like to have one of its vines wrapped around her chest, squeezing and crushing her until she couldn't breathe.

When Jennie smiled politely at her over their shared cauldron, Lisa barely managed to send a strained, unconvincing smile in return. Pretending like nothing was wrong seemed an impossible task when Lisa couldn't so much as look at Jennie without hearing Hanbin's voice, sneering and accusing her of being a lovesick puppy.

Lisa was not a lovesick puppy.

Did she spend an inordinate amount of time staring at Jennie when she wasn't looking? Admittedly, yes. (Spotting a hidden freckle just below Jennie's left ear had once made Lisa's entire day).

Did watching Jennie's loopy, cursive handwriting render Lisa into a state of near hypnosis? Perhaps, on more than one occasion.

Did Lisa compulsively watch Jennie's mouth while she was explaining the critical differences between counter-clockwise and clockwise cauldron stirring (none of which she could now remember for the life of her)? Had she been thinking about how soft those lips looked...wondering how they would feel pressed against skin?

(Lisa couldn't quite bring herself to answer that question.)

"I'm sorry, did you say something?" Lisa shook her head lightly in an effort to concentrate on Jennie's words.